Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone avoided surgery by alternative therapies?

I have recently decided to postpone my ACDF on my C5-6. I have been reading about alternatives to help with healing and trying to get rid of herniation. There are a lot of great ideas on this web site that are helping. But I have not read about anyone healing completely and not needing surgery. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this and what did you do? I am getting frustrated by the majority of non sucsess stories that freak me out about having surgery in the first place.

• KeeweeKKeewee Posts: 92
    edited 01/21/2013 - 10:01 AM
    sorry it's not better news, I tried osteopathy, chiropody and acupuncture. I got a copper arthritis bracelet and tried Chinese massages, didn't work. However, I'm 5 weeks post op been back to work for 2 weeks and never felt better!! So who said surgery doesn't work :0)
    All those success stories are back living life :0)
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • I wish I could try more alternative therapy, but insurance doesn't cover "experimental or investigational" treatments...so frustrating, they will shell out thousands upon thousands for things that don't work...
  • Hello,
    If the disease is only and only can be make good by doing surgery then there is any other way.
    But if you go with the therapy then it takes too much time for make feel good to the patients...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    that has avoided additional surgery.
    Just to quickly summarize, surgery history:

Spinal: 4 Lumbar, 3 Cervical (First Lumbar 1978, Last Cervical 2000)
    Joint: Both shoulders totally replaced 2010
    Joint: Left hip totally replaced 2011
    Non-Surgical: Spinal 4 Thoracic herniated discs 2006 to present

Put aside the joint surgeries. There were results of advanced osteoarthritis caused by multiple surgeries.
    My 7 Spinal surgeries were successful. The flare ups I get from time to time are normally caused by something I do that I should not do. None of my doctors wanted to perform surgery on my thoracic discs. The feeling was since some of my spinal surgery was done so long ago, before newer techniques were available, my spine would not be stable enough.
    But I was living on pretty heavy dosages of Oxycontin and Oxycodone daily plus 4 times a week of PT.

I tried many other routes. Acupuncture, which did help to an extent. Osteopathic medicine. That did provide some relief but like acupuncture is was too short lived.

I was giving up, when my physiatrist suggested to see a Thai Deep Tissue Spinal/Joint Massage therapist. This little man changed my life and has kept me out of a wheel chair. He started to teach me alot about eastern medicine. I found relief in aroma and music therapy. But what was the best for me, was he was able to undo years of neglect to my deep rhomboid muscles and gave my thoracic discs a chance to relax. It was very painful sessions 1x week for about 18 months. Now, I see this same person once a month just for a tune up.

So, I am 100% behind alternative medicine. There are many to investigate. What works for one person may not
    be as successful for someone else. I know you need to have an open mind going into things like this.

But, in the end I have found the blending of Eastern and Western Medicines is what really has kept me away from another spinal surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • patrobnappatrobna Posts: 14
    edited 02/17/2013 - 10:08 AM
    For your replies. I just had my second steroid shot last week. I fear this one might not work as good as the last one. I am already experiencing arm and wrist pain. @analsin what is ES? @ron i would love to hear more spacifically what your Thia therapist does? If you could send me some more information about that in a private email? I have had a few Thia massages but felt like the rocking pushing motion might be too much for my herniation. I am trying rositer it is a combination of pressure point therepy and stretching. Very painful but feel great in a few days.
  • Just to mention, it also makes huge difference to find right and knowledgeable therapist. They are certainly not all the same. I went to 2 massage therapist, one did nothing for me, second I felt some relief, and now third one I would adopt if I could. After only 2 half hour visits, there was huge improvement.