Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc replacement surgery scheduled, but....

I am scheduled to have disc replacement surgery on my neck (c5/c6) on February 7th. I start school this Wednesday, January 23rd. I was told by my doctor that I should not miss any classes. Seems a little too good to be true, but I wanted to find out for sure. I have classes Monday and Wednesday afternoons only. My first day of class would be 4 days post op. Does this really seem doable? I am not sure if I should drop this semester and start my classes again over the summer. HELP ME PLEASE!! What do I do?
Stephanie Gonzalez

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 01/21/2013 - 12:07 PM
    Hold the doctor to his word ! If all goes as planed then its posible maybe ! If you cant go to class because complications then kick the dr in the nuts tell him its all his fault,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Noni79, wow your surgeon is really optimistic. I have not had cervical surgeries but thoracic and lumbar aplenty :) I tried to start my semester 3 weeks after a lumbar lamenctomy but there was no way I could. If it would not be too late to drop the classes 4 days after surgery than maybe wait. If you are not able to go back that soon will your school refund after classes start. Mine would give me 75% back but since I dropped before they started I got it all. I will be thinking of you and hope you do well during your surgery.

• ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 01/22/2013 - 2:07 PM
    Welcome to spine health. I also have not had cervical surgery, and have heard that recovery can be very different from lumbar, but this does sound very optimistic of your doctor.

Like Kelli has said, see what your options are regarding school and refunds if at the time you are not able to get to class. Does your school offer any online classes, or other ways to see the lectures while you are recovering?

Everyone recovers differently. I know for myself, when I had a lumbar artificial disc put in, I was still in the hospital 4 days post op, and besides the ride home, didn't travel by car for six weeks.

Wishing you all the best leading up to and after surgery. What disc are you having put in? Look forward to hearing how you make out.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012