Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member - not a lurker anymore

Hello everyone.

My name is Chuck and I am 68 years old.

I have been battling neck problems for more than 20 years and up until 6 months ago traction and other means had been sufficient to keep things going.

Then I started having more neck/shoulder pain with numbness in my left hand and arm that would not respond to treatment.

I had a x-ray followed by an MRI showing significant decompression C4-C7 and moderate spondylosis and narrowing of the canal C4-C7.

My surgeon was highly recommended and has done over 1000 ACDF surgeries. Consequently, I went ahead and scheduled surgery, which was successful on January 8th 2013.

I had C4-C7 ACDF.

Other than a sore throat for 3 days I have had very little pain but some spasms that were not too bad. I feel wonderful and all the pain and numbness are gone. It is unbelievable how much pain and tension I was putting up with in my neck and shoulder areas.

I am not taking pain medications except for a Tylenol here and there. I have the Oxy and the muscle relaxer if needed but so far they are staying in the bottle. I had total hip replacement 6 years ago and didn't have much pain then either. Don't know if I am different of what, but I am thankful.

This is a great site and I'll be checking in frequently as the healing process proceeds.

US Army Retired
Olympia WA

• Welcome to spine health, glad to see you are not a lurker anymore. Congrats on being on the other side of surgery. Sounds like you are having a great recovery so far.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome Chuck.

Good start mate.

Make sure you give us regular updates, now that your lurker-less. ;)

Take care.