Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Phantom Pain

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,428
edited 01/23/2013 - 11:24 AM in Depression and Coping
""Little support is provided for psychological causes for phantom pain, but the expression of phantom pain does appear to be influenced by psychological mechanisms similarly to the ways other chronic pain conditions are influenced."

Here is my Thesis
Those of you who know me, and my exploration of ideas, know ime at it again... so with your indulgence...

Phantom Pain as described and known is that of feeling pain from a missing limb, k, we got that idea
but what if you could decribe phantom pain in the psychological sense of ,
and in the context of Acceptance and denial of the Human condition you find yourself in?

Do you understand that the former life you had~has fundamentaly and permanently changed to the new paradigm?
it takes time, effort and a new kind of courage for some, or the resurfacing of,for others...and the fear of not finding it for even more others. What do you classify as having changed? so much devastation and disbelief, the wasteland of your former life, the illusions and the reality.
But the expression of this "Phantom Pain" is what you deal with emotionally/psychologically/physically...every day.

Everything has changed. Thats period.
nothing will ever be the same again,
get your head around that first!
you cannot
nor will not
ever be the person you were,
you are the person you are now.
accept that, here is the origen of the "phantom Pain"
the beast has another name...
By clinging fully, and futilely, to the past, you doom yourself to failure in this battle, not the war, that is a greater issue, but battle. If you stubbornly cling to the person you were, the physicality you had, and the abundance and freedom of yourself, you wont get over the pain of "now"
the phantom pain is you, and your refusal to accept who, where, why and how you are right here, right now.
ok, get the idea?
you cannot have the past back
you only have today, and what you do to set yourself up for tommorrows sorrows.

Leave the past to its bitter and endless regret, your feeling the pressure of wanting to push, hard to be the person you WERE, not are.

the pain is the dichotomy of realitys.

if you dont let go of the phantom "self" you will always feel the presence of it, always.
you ask
how do you
how can you
how will you
accept the inevitable, no matter how hard you fight,
maybe because its the cold hard truth of the situation your afraid of?
your not as able
or as strong, or as fast etc..

you can get modicums of the old feelings, and youll settle for less and less , this is the dangerous path, because your trading reality for a fantasy...

"several different mechanisms are involved, no one treatment is likely to be effective for all of the different types of phantom pain. Appropriate combinations of self-regulation strategies aimed at controlling the underlying physiological problems are likely to be effective in reducing the incidence and severity of burning and cramping types of phantom pain."

Burning/ cramping,lets leave that aside for a moment.
find your own personal path to acceptance, seek out others who have trod the path before, seek professional help, its ok.
self regulation, its important to use mental policing every day, so you wont sink into old and spiraling patterns, that cause the pain to return.
The pain and frustration will always be there, its up to you as to what you do with them.
you can fold
or you can fight,
but the goal is singular
accept who and what you have become
or you will always be fighting yourself
and you will sicken
and wither away,
self centered
get it?

you will be angry, and it will lead to other issues

ok, i thought not.
it is not an easy road
it never will be.

what has happened

what you feel
is how your going to feel

importantly though...
how you handle these..
is up to you.

I have used the paraphrased words without permission, so i hope i dont make the authors angry!

"The mystery of phantom pain: growing evidence for psychophysiological mechanisms.
Sherman RA, Arena JG, Sherman CJ, Ernst JL.
Department of Clinical Investigation, Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045-5001."
William Garza
Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health