Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newby getting prepared for nerve conduction testing

Hi All!
Glad to have found this site, lots of great topics and responses, thanks! I'm told I will be undergoing nerve conduction testing..does anyone have any experience with this that they would be willing to share with me, I would greatly appreciate any info on what to expect..how accurate and dependable are they to pinpoint stenosis? Is it painful? Thanks again!

• I'm glad you found this forum! You will see that there are some really great people here that can really help. I think I had the test you are talking about. EEG or something like that.

They put needles/pins in your skin and run a very low current thru them to see if the nerves are conducting the current correctly. It's not truely painful but it was uncomfortable. My doctor told me to take a xanax prior to the test. The discomfort doesnt last long at all once the test is completed.

Good luck! And keep coming here. The people hare have been a great deal of help and comfort to me.
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • Justcelia told ya true! Good luck with your test.....you'll do fine. Let us know how it goes:)
    Herniated disc C5 C-6, DDD, Fibromyalgia, Nerve damage both arms, Disc Decompression, SCS 2010, Si joint pain, many epidurals, mri's, trigger point injections. Nerve conduction tests, RFA 11/28/12, RLS
  • @ Justcelia,
    Thank you for your response...I am also having severe nerve pain from L3 - S1..is the surgery to decompress the sciatic and peroneal nerve painful? Was the recovery long? Any info or advice is apreciated! I also have had 2 decompressive surgeries in my neck and complications stemming from that. Where they screwed in the plate at C5-C7, they pinched off the ulnar nerve in my right arm, so I now have nerve pain from elbow down into last two digits.. makes me so apprehensive regarding any more surgeries but the meds aren't working like they used to and unfortunately my condition has gotten progressively worse. I'm not looking forward to being a human pin-cushion either but I really need to have it done so they know exactly where the problem areas are.
  • justceliajjustcelia Posts: 84
    edited 01/29/2013 - 4:19 PM
    I had a "not so good" dr the first 2 surgeries. This time I asked around and got lots of feedback as to where the "good" drs were. I am very confidant that I found the right one this time. I had just assumed that "drs know what they are doing".

My new dr says I will be pretty much just healing for about 3 months. I didn't have a huge amout of pain with the last 2. I made sure I followed istructions, took in all the tips here and took my meds on time.

It is not a walk in the park but I really had no other option. I had a lot of help at home and came here for emotional support and tips to make it easier.

Even tho I have had 2 spinal surgeries, I am very nervous, excited, scared and hopeful. I'm sure that if you find a good dr, you will be fine. Read all the prep tips and what to set up after surgery that you can find here and it will be so much easier.

Good luck!
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • this thursday is my... ive had a couple. and the the anticipation will do funny things to your expectations. to be honest its not the greatest test, but mapping will help futher the knowledge to help you.
    good luck and I hope they find something to give you good news by!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health