Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

very first severe lower back pain attack

on the 17th at around 12 am i got up from a chair, not fast, not twisted, just normal, and for whatever reason my back felt like it broke in the pelvic region above the tailbone between the hips. my whole spine felt like it was being crushed and every muscle along my spine was in intense spasm. i was literally screaming in agony. i had tears but could not produce sobs. i was in so much pain that i could not tolerate the position i was in, but the slightest movement of any limb or finger or toe was equally agonizing. it took hours to get me into another room and eventually i wound up stuck in a corner on the floor unable to back out and my dad called an ambulance. in the ER they gave me about 4 or 5 shots of dilaudid and were still unable to get me to move to examine me. i spent 4 days unable to move and being lifted and rolled by hospital staff. finally i was able to move and force myself up out of bed. it was excruciating but the more i walked the better it got so i stayed moving. the "attending MD" who was a general md had really ragged on me the day before to not stay in bed so i really made an effort to let her see me out of bed and when she did she said "you can go home today."

i told her i wasnt where i wanted to be recovery wise and that i was still in a lot of pain and couldnt sit down or move my left leg aside from walking. i managed to get an extra night at the hospital but she immediately discontinued the pain medications and it took about 12 hours of harassing the patient case manager to get ibuprofen. and that is what i was sent home with. 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. 42 pills.

the neurologist said i had a herniated L4 vertebrae and that in itself doesnt always cause pain so i needed a standing MRI when i could tolerate it and . then when "pain management" came to consult with me they said the cat scan said "bulging disk and pinched nerve" and that it wasnt herniated disk and i didnt need physical therapy or any pain management. i dont know which person was more accurate with the diagnosis. all i know is i am in extreme pain. i cannot sit or stand. i'm typing this from a standing position at a laptop on a kitchen counter. i tried every chair in my apartment, the couch, my bed, my dads bed. i had a friend bring some chairs over for me to try and i cannot sit in any of them and i cannot lay down in bed. i am exhausted and i want to rest and sleep but i am in too much pain in a sitting position and lying down. i tried laying on my side, my other side, my back, my belly, pillows under me, under half of me to slant me either way and absolutely nothing is working. i can squat but i cannot have my body come into contact with anything underneath. not the legs nor the butt.

i need advice on what to do. ive tried taking more than 1 800 mg ibuprofen and its not helping. i am exhausted. i need to rest. i dont know what to do. i dont want to go back to the hospital.

• Peter BPPeter B Posts: 511
    edited 01/24/2013 - 6:10 PM
    I have had similar experiences and they introduce you to pain quite well!
    Not sure about your precise situation, but mine were caused by muscle spasms.
    Who'd have thought muscles would do that? It's a buildup of gradual muscle strain from a variety of reasons, and everything goes along reasonably well until that tiny extra thing tips the balance, and the muscles lock up tight.

You need to keep still and rest, and better still sleep, to allow the muscle to relax.Get some muscle relaxants if you can get them.
    Firm upright chairs only, don't drive, keep off the PC, avoid standing for more than a few minutes in one spot, no lifting of anything, sleep on a firm bed, don't do any housework-especially twisting.

Mine eventually got better, but over days. Now I take a high dose of magnesium and my muscles don't get sore or spasm any more.

I'd had several of these occurrences, but it wasn't until my wife had one that she truly appreciated what I'd been going through.
This discussion has been closed.