Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

36 days Post-Op L5-S1 Microdisectomy

thesilvercordtthesilvercord Posts: 15
edited 01/24/2013 - 10:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hey everyone,

It's been 36 days since my L5-S1 microdisectomy to relieve sciatica in my right leg. This was my first and only surgery. I had sciatic pain for a little over 3 years before I got surgery. I have been feeling much better lately but I am not 100%. I went back to work 28 days after my operation. This is my 6th day at work. It is an office job at a hospital so it involves a lot of sitting. Whenever I stand now, I feel like my weight is balanced at 50/50 now between both legs, which is great. Before surgery it was probably around 60/40, with most weight on my left leg to alleviate pressure on my right leg. I would burn holes (literally) into my left shoe soles.

I still do not have full flexibility in my right leg (the sciatic affected leg). I don't know if I ever will. It is pretty troubling, but given the amount of relief I have been given due to the surgery, I am still happy. Whenever I stand up and try to lift my leg straight, in front of me, upwards, bending from the hip, I feel sharp sciatic pain once it gets to a couple feet off the ground. Is this normal?

I don't feel any sciatic pain when I am standing anymore, which is nice. I can walk freely now, without any kind of limp. I move around well now.

When I wake up in the morning sometimes, if I slept wrong, I will feel the sciatic pain for a couple minutes getting out of bed and until I move around a bit and get the blood flowing.

I feel like the surgery was a success. I went from about "45%" to "90%". I am wondering if I will ever get to a number higher than "90%".

I have been taking a lot of magesium lately too. I heard that helps the nerve heal.

What do you guys think? Am I setting too high expectations being only 36 days post-op? I could probably lose a good amount of weight too which should help. I am a tall guy, at 6'4" and I weigh 265 right now. Before the injury, years ago, I weighed around 215.

I don't think that I have reherniated after the surgery, because I feel much better post-op. I am just wondering if a.) disc material is still pinching the nerve or b.) the nerve just needs more time to heal/or is permamently damaged to a certain degree.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks everyone.

• I am 8 months post micro on the same disc. My left leg is still extremely tight and if I try to stretch it my foot kind of goes bonkers. I still have shots of nerve pain etc too. I wish I had some answers for you. I'm going for another mri next week. 36 days is not that long after surgery! Listen to your body, walk when you can.
  • Almost exactly HA! almost to 5 months post-op. I had a real nice 2 week stretch of increasing gym activities and just generally feeling pretty damn good. Well last weekend I stood in a line for over an hour. Combine that with some work activity last friday and sure enough I had a down week. Some LBP, numbness and tingling mostly in the toes, and swelling in the disc area. I am not worried that I damaged anything, just another loop on the coaster.

So again, I just think its part of the process
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!