Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had a 3 level fusion? L3-l4,L4-5,L5-S1

I am scheduled for a TLIF, feb13th (Happy Valentines Day:( ). I have had a previous surgery,,discectomy of L4,L5 7 years ago. recovered fine. I am scared of what is to come..I know I need this surgery, my pain is getting worse every day. I have tried to help around the house as much as i could, as i would feel guilty..my partner works very hard and I just want to do SOMETHING to contribute..Now, this am, I have raised the proverbial white flag, and am staying in bed. I am in constant pain. My calf pain is excruciating, as it goes from ache to full on throb. I cannot sleep. I use pillows, and positions to help, but nothing works. I am on Percocet 1 4x/day, Neurontin 400mg 4x/day. Wont increase my meds as it is same meds they will use post op. That is a crappy thought!! Now, I have searched and searched for anything on line about a 3 level TLIF, and I cant find anything..PLEASE if anyone has or knows anyone who has this surgery, let me know what happens.. Are the rods n screws all seperate, or connected. I am a mess. I have alot going on with 7 adults, and 2 babies in the house, and I feel a bit alone in my room with just scary thoughts.

Nancy J. Brewer-Pettit

• maximumhardwaremmaximumhardware Posts: 1
    edited 01/24/2013 - 1:00 PM
    I had a 3 level lumbar fusion, if there are any questions you are looking for answers for fire away. If they are fusing 3 levels all the levels are connected with pedicule bolts, and rods on both sides of the spine, sometimes even hardware across. Hope that helps. Good luck. Im doing OK, but still needing pain management, Im fused completely and post op about 2y.

• I just had a plif on Jan 7. They fused L3 thru S1. In my case they were going to use the pedicule screws and rods but ended up removin all 3 disks and putting a cage in instead. Everyone is different but I can say for me, post op I am doing great. Very happy with the results so far. I am walking a lot but my Dr has me pretty locked down and doesn't want me doing much of anything.
    Before surgery I was taking percocet 10/325 3 times a day plus lyrica so my pain med tolerence was very high. I had a huge problem when I got out of surgery becaue they put me on a diuladid pain pump and it did nothing, and I mean nothing for the pain. It just have me horrible migraines. I went almost 12 hous with no pain relief untl they took me off the pain pump and put me on 30mgs of pure oxycodon every 2 hours. Once they did that my pain dropped immensly and from there I started doing much better.
    I won't lie, for a day or two it is very painful. Just make sure someone is there to advocate for your pain management.
    I still have to take my lyrica, otherwise I get mad nerve pain down both legs, but the lyrica has almost totally stopped that. I am on 15mg oxycodone at home but sometimes can go many hours without any pain meds and I am only 2 weeks post op. I truly feel very good so far and I feel positive that this may have finally solved my back pain!!
    I know its nerve wrecking but the anticipation is the worst. I will do my best to answer any questions you may have, hang in there!!!!!!!!