Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

screw needs to be moved possibly, HOW?

Went to see my surgeon for my first post op visit. I thought I was doing pretty well with the recovery and making progress. Well he walks is sees that I am still using a walker does the check up and looks at the xrays. One of the screws might need to be moved and ordered a CT scan that was done this morning. The surgeon mentioned that the screw might be pressing up against the L4 nerve root and is the possible cause for the pain and the numbness in my leg.
So if the screw needs to be moved and re-aligned, how will that be done if anyone knows? I am sure that this isn't a common thing to have to do and to happen at all. I can see that the vertebra has a hole in it for the first screw how will they re-position in and not destroy what is left of the vertebra? I sure as hell don't want to do another surgery so fast its only been just over a month and to hear that I may need to have another surgery is frightening.
Thanks

Motorcycle Rider
advertisement

Comments

• Hmmm. If you were totaly fused they could probably remove all the hardware but sounds like your not fused yet,
    I imagine he posibly wants to maybe replace the screw with a shorter one i would imagine,

That sucks as he should of seen that when he put it in there, Sorry to hear you having this complication,
    Hopefuly he can resolve it without any complications,

But this does hapen from what i heard from others, Often screw breaks off even and they have to remove it,

Good luck, let us know what doctor decides and when,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi motor cycle rider
    Sorry to hear this, I've a feeling I could be in the same boat

I'm 10 days over my fusion and have horrible sciatica pain
    Just like before?! And wondering is it the hardware pressing down?

Dreading this

Star7
  • Thanks Alex and Star7 for replying. I am hoping that I won't have to have the screw replaced or adjusted. But it would explain why I couldn't move my leg in recovery and the pain and numbness that I have. Just dreading it, spent the morning at the doctors office to get a form filled out to submit to the insurance company that they wanted returned. The doctor basically told me that he wouldn't take responsibility for the paper work and said he was sorry but wouldn't fill it out. This is my primary doctor not my surgeon to, don't want to be confusing. So not sure what to do at this point to get the paperwork completed and submitted. Oh well another drama hurdle to overcome.
  • Good news the screw is OK where it is at so no surgery!!!! So the surgeon has said that it is inflammation and that it will go away in time. I sure as hell hope so. The new pain med the doc gave me makes me sick and nauseated with severe stomach cramps and all that mess. I have a call in but no return call as of yet on that issue. I go back to see the surgeon in 4 weeks and I hope then that I can start physical therapy. Im ready to get back on my feet and living again.
    I do hope that everyone is doing well and that your surgery has went better than mine and the your recovery is fast.
  • So you dont have a lose screw ? Thats not what your wife said , git-er-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Alex, Wife thinks its not one screw loose but several lol!! Still having issues and pain but cant' seem to get any answers. I go back to see the doctor on March19th.
advertisement