Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica after fusion - help !!

Hi all

I had a spinal fusion 11 days ago. At L5 S1 with pedicle screws also a
I was suffering from spondylolisthesis

Anyhow I'm now suffering from a horrible pain in right foot
Which feels like pins and needles and a horrible burning sensation
and I literally can't tip off the foot as its so painful.

My Neuro surgeon said this is the nerves settling down as they were
So badly compressed. The pain is absolutely horrible.

Now for the last few days I've the sciatica back and I'm crying thinking was
It all for nothing? Will this sciatica settle or could it be another disc or even the
Hardware that was inserted pressing on the nerves again?

Hoping someone can help

Thanks guys

• I had my L5/S1 TLIF on 1/16, pedicel screws, 2 small rods, a cage, & half my disc removed. I haven't seen my ortho surgeon since I left the hospital, so not sure what he would say...I just know that I've had a lot of weird nerve sensations & pain since the surgery, and some of it seems to come & go when it wants. I'm trying to stay hopeful that these symptoms will be temporary (and that I'll be able to wean myself off such a high dose of Percocet).

Not sure if that helps...but you aren't alone!
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • Hi there, I am 4.5 weeks post op my second spinal fusion + decompression + they removed the old hardware. I can relate to you both regarding the sciatica. I had it before and now it's worse, but the same thing happened with my first surgery and it went away after about 2 months post op, so I'm really hoping it will go away this time as well. I take lyrica and find it pretty helpful, although it doesn't completely relieve the pain, nothing will, honestly. Physio seemed to help with my sciatica last time, so I'm waiting to do some Physio again this time but I have to wait a few more weeks.

I have a question for you guys: do you still have swelling around the incision? I have major swelling, it hasn't worsened but hasn't gotten better. It's about 1.5 inches off my back and about 4 inches wide..like around my incision. It is hard feeling.
    What do you think? I called the surgeon but no one returned my call yet. Should I be worried?

Hope your pains go away soon! I recommend seeing a Physio as soon as you're able to and when u have ur follow up appointment discuss this with your surgeon.
  • I'll ask my fiancé when he gets home if I have swelling around the incisions. The doc & nurse didn't mention any at my two week follow-up.

I got my med dose chopped at the appointment as well, and I really don't feel like my pain is low enough to be doing that, especially with the nerves waking up or healing :-p
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • so eventually did the sciatica all diminish?
    kind of worried, 6 days post op