Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lidocaine cream and or patch for back pain?

ok so i'm new here, this is my second post and my first back injury/severe pain experience and i am 2 days out of the hospital after a 7 day stay with 4 day paralysis. i'm still in severe pain most of the time and at about 30% functionality and mobility. i can barely wipe myself and i cannot put shoes or socks on at all and i absolutely cannot get anywhere near the floor to pick something up. i've tried percocet, vicodin, the garbage ibuprofen the hospital sent me home with, all of the standard meds (tylenol, excedrine, advil, asprin) -- i'm running out of options. i have a small tub of lidocaine cream 5% and ive just rubbed some in the general area of my back but it doesnt seem to be penetrating deep enough. what am i doing wrong? i have a friend who also has back pain and uses 5% lidocaine patches for similar pain, so what am i missing here? should i try mixing some of the lidocaine with some bengay cream?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Can be very effective in controlling moderate pain. I have used boxes and boxes of them over the years. Some times, as much as 3 patches at one time.
    They do help, but like so many other medications it takes time to work. With these patches, the first time, it took a full week of 3 patches a day before I felt some relief. Now, most of the boxes come with 30 patches, so depending on your insurance co-pays that can run up a bit.
    I will get a script for 90 patches (30 boxes) which would cost me $30. After a while, I would cut the patches in half or thirds to make them stick better. One of the problems is that the adhesive is not very strong.
    But overall these patches are a very good conservative treatment.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi :wave: I am sorry your in so much pain :( I have tried the lidocaine patches and they did nothing - zero - zip for me. Do you have a Dr you can call/see about different meds?

What is your Dr saying how long you should be "down" with this - any game plan?

I am almost 10 yrs out from injury & most days still have to use things I have bought or rigged up myself to put shoes/socks on and still can't reach the floor - pain is here 24/7. But this is MY "new normal" life.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.