Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myleogram HELP PLEASE!!!

I have had three previous cervical spine surgeries. ACDF in 2007 then a posterior foraminotomy in 2007 then a revision ACDF with BMP protein in 2009. My pain has come back and is severe. Had an MRI last week which shows I have a bulging disc with bone spurs and spinal cord flattening at my C6-C7. Surgeon says I need a posterior fusion and removal of bone spurs, however he says that because of the previous surgeries he wants a myleogram done for a better look. I got papers in the mail today and couldn't believe what I read so I googled the test and couldn't believe the HORROR stories associated with this test. Does ANYONE know ANYTHING or have any personal experiences with having this test done? I have been in tears since reading the test papers and the stories and do NOT think I can go through with this test. I have severe anxiety every time I go to the hospital and this looks worse than the actual surgery. ANY advice appreciated (good or bad) I would love to hear from people with good experiences after this test but I am looking for ALL information I can get so I can decide what's best for me. Anyone know what happens if I refuse this test? I'm wondering if they will even do my surgery if I refuse.

Thanks everyone,

• I was all worked up over having a myleogram too. Turns out, it was NOTHING.... Just like an epidural, almost identical shot/pain/etc. Honestly due to the rotation of my spine the epidurals were worse. Only difference is they put you on a table and tilt you around (not painful) and then you have to have a CT (again, not painful). The worst part of the entire experience is the "worry" associated with it.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • DaffydolphinDaffydolphin Posts: 98
    edited 01/26/2013 - 11:33 AM
    Agree with Allmetal. Done by an experienced group, it is no problem. I went to a Radiologist that does a lot of them. Only bad experiences I have personally heard are from people who had it done at local small imaging center that does maybe one a month. Take 5mg of Valium the night before, and then again 30 to 60 minutes before. Place I went was doing a group of 11 that morning. Offered everyone Valium, but said it would be $10 extra, since insurances did not consider it medically necessary. Most of the group was on edge from the stories they had read, and took the Valium. Do pay attention to their after test instructions to minimize risk of delayed headache.

It is an excellent test that gives great images and spots little things MRIs miss.

Added: you can and should take you regular pain med routine. The positions they put you in on the table might aggravate your normal pain points. Their instruction will probably tell you this. Mine did.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • I am sorry to hear about your situation. I have had severe chronic neck and low back pain for 12 years now. I, too, had a Myelogram in the past. I wish I could say it was a breeze, but to be honest, I found it difficult.
    I did get through it though and post procedure time went well. What was scary to me was feeling the pressure in my brain from the fluid. It was a normal feeling for the procedure but felt weird.

Perhaps, your doctor could give you a Valium?

The good news is is that it will be over. It will give your doctor the correct information.

I hope your procedure goes well and your pain decrease
  • The actual test was no problem, transient pain with the tilting of the table. I did develop the myelogram headache. Nothing would help it except laying flat, no pillow, no nothing until it went away. Myelogram showed impingement that wasn't on the mri so it was good to have it done.
    If I was told I needed one again I'd get it done again, just take off work a couple of days in case the headache comes back.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched