Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 days pain pump surgery

Hi everyone, sorry i kind of skipped a self introduction i posted a few months ago regarding managment of pain meds while waitin to get a pump implanted. Anyway, ive made it. Three days from now ill be getting mine put in. (tues. Jan 29, 2013). The trial went wonderfully, seriously i felt like myself again ::tears:: i understand that the concentration of pain medication will be minimal at first and gradually increase over time. What im wondering is... When i had my trial my entire buttocks and upper leg was numb. So numb in fact i was not aloud to even try standing on my own . They feared i would fall. I guess the best explanation is similar to when your foot falls asleep. My pm dr. Explained that the medication doing that was a "carrying medication", that it helped the pain meds travel adequetly to the site. He said in the implanted pump he only uses a 5% solution of that numbing med and not to expect all that loss of feeling.
Does anyone recall during thier trial having such numbness? And more importantly im afraid the terrific loss of pain may have had alot to do with that numbness, perhaps i wont get the relief i did during the trial? Im trying hard to be realistic about all this and not expect too much. Everything the dr has told me and what ive read is that its going to take time. Just concerned that numbing med did more of the work than the pain med.
Any thoughts would be much welcomed. Im nervous, anxious, scared, happy, thankful, sheesh..so many emotions right now. Mostly thankful though, its been a long road getting to this point.
Wishing you all well and pain relieving days ~ jade

• Don FentonDDon Fenton Posts: 5
    edited 01/28/2013 - 3:58 PM
    I had a pain pump installed on Dec 17, 2012 about 5 weeks ago. What a relief, it has changed my life in 5 short weeks. I was taking 180 mg of oxycodone a day with a 100 mcg fentynal patch changed every 48 hours. I am now getting about 6 mg morphine a day with the pain pump. I have not worn a patch since the surgery and have not had to take a pill in two weeks. I does take some time to get the pump adjusted, but you have to stay with it and not give up. I feel better than I have in 5 years. You will love the pump! Good Luck! If you have any more question please feel free to IM me.
  • Hi everyone, well i got the pump implated on jan 29, things are going well. Sitting and lying down are so much better. The first few days home were rough though. I had this foaming up in my lungs, after coughing up little amounts continuously it would cause me to vomit. About 4 days of that was terrible. Dr says most likely the anestesia caused that. Made for very painfull incisions. I did overdue it this past week where i was standing straight and more able to clean and stuff, im guessing this is peobably a new pump patient experience and common. So even though its been a tough two days i do think i brought it on myself. Have seen pm dr for first follow up. Ill go back on march 6th for a med adjustment. Im hopefull for my future for the first time in a very long time. :-)
  • Don FentonDDon Fenton Posts: 5
    edited 02/16/2013 - 8:45 AM
    Billy, it's great to hear you are doing so good. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 weeks and I take no oral medication anymore. Once you get it adjusted right you will love it. I feel normal again. Good luck, stay with it and for gods sake take it easy while you heal.