Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Decompression Anyone tried it?

LarryPLLarryP Posts: 18
edited 01/27/2013 - 4:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Anyone tried this for a bulging disc in neck, I don't want to do surgery.
Also arthritis
I am skeptical about this procedure
Suffering for 7 month now

• marketweismmarketweis Posts: 16
    edited 01/28/2013 - 6:14 AM
    Are you talking about decompression on something like that DRX machine? I too obviously don't want surgery if I can avoid it and have looked into everything non-invasive.

I went to a Chiro place because I was intrigued by their fancy DRX machine, but I landed up going to a Chrio much closer and convenient to where I work. He also has a "decompression" machine which is I think the Triton DTS. He says his machine and the DRX are really nothing more than traction, but that he wouldn't charge me and arm and a leg for each session on it like the other place and the DRX.

I have been on it there pretty much each visit, and I really can't say it's been a great help. All I know is that after my first visit to him several weeks ago, and the initial "adjustments" he did up and down my entire spine, was the first time I was off of my pain pills as of the next day. I was extremely frightened to have him manipulate anything, but he was pretty gentle and told me I was tight as a drum in some spots.

I have issues at C6 and C4, and the C6 pain is what he really relieved after that first visit when I did no decompression. The C4 pain is being more stubborn.

I would say that ONLY doing the decompression traction wouldn't have really made me turn the corner on relieving pain. And even still, I am up and down almost daily -- still mainly off pain killers -- but having decent and not so decent days every other day. Next up for me is a consult with an epidural guy.
  • 20 years ago when I started having trouble with my neck a neurosurgeon suggested I buy an over the door traction device and use it for 20-30 minutes several times each day to see if it would help. It did and my symptoms either went away or were greatly reduced. I had disk degeneration and arthritic build up between C6 and C7 at the time. The device can be bought on Amazon for between $25 and $75. The one I was last using cost me $65 and used a spring to set the traction.

Try it and it could really delay surgery by a great amount.... or not.

My device worked (used it every year or so typically when symptoms reappeared) until about 8 months ago. Then X-rays and an MRI showed significant problems C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 necessitation surgery. I am now three weeks post 3-level ACDF and doing really well.

Hope this helps.
    US Army Retired
    Olympia WA