Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

symptoms seem to be progressing

hello, this is my first post and i appreciate that this forum is here. I'm 56, and have had neck problems for 20 years now. I have stenosis, multiple level issues. I have chronic pain, have been on many different meds, PT, chiro, injections, traction.. have had to give up many things because of the pain and limitations. Ive tried my best to be as functional as possible, as active as i can be..not complain a lot.. not let the pain/discomfort,etc rule my life. Sometimes its hard to do. Over last few months ive had tingling, numbness into my hands and fingers, been dropping things more than usual..ongoing pain. I wake up during the night with both hands numb every night. The hands stuff is new, and it scares me. The last thing I want is surgery. I am very scared of that, and actually have a belief that it wouldnt help--it would make things worse.I know that might not be rational, but its how i feel. Tomorrow i have an appt with a new pain MD..and Im nervous about it because ive become less able to live with the symptoms...and i anticipate new diagnostics, and that theyll show changes that are causing these newer symptoms...and..what are the options..i dont talk to my kids about this, or my friends, because i dont want to worry or disturb them..and i think i also dont want to hear myself, either. So thanks for being here, and i hope its ok to post this.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Soid. I'm glad you found this forum. I can relate to your fear. My problems are with my lower back so my issues are with my leg instead of arms but I understand the feelings. You are deffinantly in the right place for help.

I can talk to my boyfriend about all my stuff but don't really go into much detail to my daughters. I don't want them to worry. And I don't talk much to my friends about it. I suppose it would be healthier to talk to more people about it but it just doesn't feel "right" to "burden" them.

Please be sure you find a good doctor. There are posts on here that will help in choosing one. You can search for them or they may be in the FAQ. I am sure there are folks much better at helping you find info on here but I wanted to welcome you and let you know that I really do understand what you are going thru.

I'm really glad you are here!
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • thank you justcelia. i just came back from MD, and im afraid im not encouraged. surgery is an option i dont want to consider. whether im right or not, i think my lack of confidence in a surgical intervention cant help the outcome. i'll have to get another set of emgs and mri...and then i guess, take it from there. im having a hard time accepting whats happening. maybe i will feel differently as things evolve..i hope so. thanks for the welcome.
  • I hope you get the answers you want. Look around her and I'm sure you will be less afraid.
    The people here have really made my mess so much easier to deal with!
    Good luck!
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!