Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newbie just scheduled for L4-L5 spinal fusion

bassetmommybbassetmommy Posts: 50
edited 01/28/2013 - 6:32 AM in New Member Introductions
just wanted to introduce myself. i'm maureen, and i just went to my initial eval. w/ a new neurosurgeon yesterday who will do an L4- L5 Fusion w/ facets march 1st. he showed me the films, and you could clearly see the L4 slip down onto the L5 in the flexion X-ray. i was so relieved after years with this nightmare, yet i am so anxious i haven't slept since friday night. sounds like i'll need to hire someone to come in during the day. i am so thankful that i have found a neurosurgeon who was able to effortlessly pinpoint my diagnosis, and offer me a chance at a normal life again.

each day i seem to be getting more clarity about how i will need to plan for the surgery. moving furniture, buying new pillows, maybe even a new chair to sit in during my "20 minute increments". we just moved last month, so none of my supports are with me here. i found a great woman on CL who will be with me for a week, or two... managing the basset hounds, helping me bathe. you see, my last experience with surgery turned into a fiasco. it was followed by a massive saddle pulmonary embolus that almost killed me, so i have great anxiety about the memories of total dependence and intractable pain.

i thank you in advance for your support and kindness, willingness to share experiences and help. i hope i might be able to be of help, as well!

• Hello Maureen
    Good luck with your fusion and well done, when you get to this stage pain has been with you for some time where some resolution or improvement is possible. Keep those here updated on your progress they understand and will help support and encourage you.

Take care. John.
  • bergbberg Posts: 140
    edited 01/28/2013 - 3:05 AM
    Make sure you have a look at the " must have items " post, it has many a item your going to need that you don't even realize, very informative. Just type the title in the search box at the top of the page.

Wishing you the best.
  • so sorry that ran amok! yes, i do see i need to revamp my information including medical history, etc...i indicated i was sleep deprived since finding out about needing the fusion, and well... you can see by my post what happened!

i slept last night, finally. this website is going to be a life saver for me. there is a place to get any information i may need- much less support! thank you for your understanding of that crazy looking post, and kind replies.