Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question regarding back/neck ache and walking condition

Hi all,

I live in a small chalet in the back garden that connects to a main house that my parents live in. I go in to the main house for the toilet, kitchen, and such like. I make about 8 trips back and forth each day, length of path from my chalet to main house is about 100ft give or take 10ft. I used to have to walk across the garden but due to the rain this became a hassle as my shoes would be so muddy and I would slip all over the place.

Anyway, my parents very kindly organised for a gravel path to be made, I believe pea shingle, or similar which was installed Monday. The problem is, and I have no idea why, but my upper back and neck aches for quite a while after I walk on it, and because I make so many trips I am left with a constant sore ache which is really uncomfortable and because of the neck ache I get a headache. Also when I walk I feel a bit like I am bobbing up and down afterwards even when no longer on the shingle. Normally when I walk on shingle and gravel I am fine, so I have no idea why this is causing me so much aching, but as soon as I step foot on it I feel a strange heaviness.

The place that hurts is the upper right hand side of my back, just below the shoulder blade area, and my neck. I have thoracic scoliosis which was found in a MRI so I am unsure if this adds to the problem. I am also morbidly obese. The frustrating thing is I would probably be feeling okay if it wasn't for the new path as I have avoided most other ways that cause me aches and pains, but there is no way around this.

I am going to get stepping stones added but I am told I have to wait 2 months for the pathway to settle and the weather to improve. So my questions are, why do you think the gravel/shingle is causing me this soreness and aching, and is there anything you can suggest I can do in the meantime (until I get the stepping stones) to try and stop it ? Such as a special type of sole, or walk, etc. I can't walk off the path as it surrounds me.

Thanks for any advice.

• Peter BPPeter B Posts: 511
    edited 01/29/2013 - 9:00 PM
    I'm thinking that as you are unsure of the surface you are tensing your muscles defensively, and on top of the usual muscle weakness and poor condition that we usually have, the muscles may have become very tight and inflamed, and possibly knotted.
    Rest will help, but you really need a sports/ remedial massage or physio to get the muscles calmed down.
    For my muscle tightness, I take a magnesium supplement and it is the best thing I've ever taken. I was a mess from tight muscles, and while massage was a big help, only the magnesium cured me.