Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all I am new to the website and i found out alot of useful information.I had 2 laminectomy discectomy at l5-s1 about 1 year apart. Now i found out i have to get l5-s1 fused. Doc said he was going to do a bone graph, and screws and bars on each side. I am so tired of dealing with this back pain i hope this finally ends its.

• My story is close to yours only i had 3 surgeries in 10 months. I jad a fusion at the same level the end of Dec and right now I'm feeling great. They used 4 screws and two rods. They ised cadaber bone (sp?) And some bone they took oit of my spine to give mu nerves more room. Good luck!
  • mine was a failed L4-L5 micro disc in 8/11. that was followed by a massive saddle pulmonary embolus in 9/11 after the immobility and pain caused that complication, and cancelled the spinal fusion scheduled for 2 days later. being on coumadin, there was no surgery and i just became disabled and lost my job.

my spinal fusion is now scheduled for march 4th. i'm told this is "fixable". i hope so, as i want my life back.

so, i can only wish you smooth sailing, and remind you to walk! best of luck to both of us, and so happy to hear of your success, tison!
  • It's safer in my humble opinion for the doctor to use cadaver bone and your own bone than to use synthetic BMP chemicals. I am convinced that BMP2 is what has caused my pain.

Good luck with surgery!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I don't remember where I read it, but I too read studies suggesting BMP is not good.

Anyways, good luck and best wishes. I and probably most back pain people know what you're feeling. They "get" it.
    I keep telling myself that it is easy to feel sorry for myself, to give up; anyone can do that. But it takes strength, courage and maybe some stubborn headedness to keep fighting. Gotta keep fighting.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I had L5-S1 fused almost 2 years ago. I already had L1-L5 fused so they bolted my pelvis to my spine this time. I had a messed up disc that was discovered during surgery and it had to be dealt with and a ligament was stretched so my recovery was a little longer and a little more painful. All my fusions fixed the problems I had, but often with more than one level fused it puts too much pressure on the level above or below.

Good luck!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • The rhBMP2 that Paul refers to is generally known as Infuse and made by Medtronic. Eugene Carragee, M.D. of Stanford Hospital & Clinics devoted an entire 2011 issue of the journal he edits, The Spine Journal, to the risks that Medtronic-paid researchers "ignored" when they gave it a clean bill of health in various published studies. Among the risks overlooked are cancer, retrograde ejaculation, excessive bone growth and a variety of other problems.
    My advice: ask your surgeon if he plans to use Infuse. Then do a google search for "Infuse" and get the info. The Wall Street Journal did a big front-page article on Carragee's findings.
    Now, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee under Sen. Charles Grassley and Sen. Max Baucus has done its own investigation of how Infuse was approved by the FDA and how well-respected researchers could so brazenly overlook risks that had been reported by Medtronic in raw data submitted to the FDA prior to approval.
    The researchers had been showered with Medtronic gifts, consulting contracts and royalties totaling about $210 million over several years unrelated to Infuse. But when it came time to review Infuse, they knew where their bread was buttered.
    Good luck.
  • Sorry i haven't replied in a while the kids been keeping me busy and the wife is tired with all of this. thanks for all the replies. And they will be using cadavier bone not the Bmp.