Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks now. advice welcome

jmacgalleryjjmacgallery Posts: 2
I got this sciatic nerve issue a couple weeks ago.
No sleep. Horrible pain.
Can't work
My boyfriend is calling me a crybaby because he thinks I am being a a wimp and it doesn't really hurt that much.
He is telling me I have a low tolerance to pain.

On top of my home based business is trouble because I have not been able to work, I am very sad because he said that stuff.

I am as tough as they come and for him to say this is very upsetting.

He had open heart surgery a few years ago and is convinced that this nerve thing really is not painful. He knows real pain.

It is bad enough hurting, being financially stressed and exhausted..but how can I express to him that this is no joke.

I am truly as tough as nails. I have had a crushed finger and a crushed toe, 5 broken noses when I was boxing,... and never got medical care. I used to run 12 - 16 miles a day and was a professional wrestler.

It really hurt my feelings.
At this point the pain is enough... and I am aggressively stretching and working to keep my muscles from getting tight. I finally could stand up straight today, walked way better and slept last night.

But I am tired and cranky and frustrated by being called a wimp and crybaby.

Any ideas how to convince him that this IS REALLY TOUGH?
Feedback please

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 01/30/2013 - 4:36 PM
    Hit him over the head with a frying pan ! He had heart surgery so it should not hurt him,

Nerve pain everyone knows is the worse especialy when it dont go away and long term , Recovery from heart surgery only takes so long and then a person is beter, Long term nerve pain is ongoing and can take a lot out of anyone,

Make him read about how many people suffer with nerve pain and having to live with it is hard, And we think his heart surgery is a walk in the park, That big sissy. Lol

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Unless someone goes through nerve pain they literally have NO IDEA what it feels like. That being said I have no real answers for you other than a huge cyber hug. I am so sorry for your pain. Have you seen anyone? Doc, neuro??
  • I have been relying on sites like this.

It was really miserable until I started forcing myself to stretch the muscles out which I did for an entire day.

I felt better. Then I figured out finally that if I keep the muscles moving throughout the day they don't tighten back up. So as long as I grit my teeth and keep them stretched and literally don't sit or lay down at all, the pain is way way less.

A friend did give me a few 800mg ibuprofen. Between keeping the muscles stretch, warm by using them and the ibuprofen I am handling it and able to sleep. Slept 2 full nights now. Was amazing.

It is morning now so time to stretch in a hot tub so I can work today.

I have my own home based business. I make custom wooden trays.. After missing weeks of work I had to refund a bunch of orders but as of yesterday I could work... thank goodness.

Thanks so much for your kind words. My heart goes out to anyone who has this. It aint no joke no matter what some people may think. Of course nobody could really know unless they have gone through it.

I got really upset ...lack of sleep for weeks doesn't help you handle things as well as you normally do. But I am not a wimp. That is for sure. I was certainly not in the mood to be told I was, as you can imagine. Today I am going to just try and laugh at the stupidity and let it go.
  • I really hope it does get better and most of the time it can, some times not. Keep at it. Listen to your body.