Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from Indiana!

Hello All!

I am a 30 year old male. Led a pretty active life (every week working out at the gym, playing racketball, rock climbing) before the unfortunate day last year.

I had an unfortunate accident in July 2012. I was rock climbing and my climbing partner 'dropped' me 20 feet. Broke my back. Had a L1 burst fracture. Did not know i had broken my back for two weeks after the fall. Took a second opinion and found out how bad the damage was. Surgeon said my CT scan images were amongst the worst he had ever seen (80% canal compromised). Docs said it was amazing I was still walking. Went in for fusion surgery after complete three weeks after the fall.

Now its exactly 6 months after the accident. I am seemingly doing okay. But feel very depressed and low at times. I was an avid sports guy and now I do not know if I can do the stuff I like to do.

Just wanted to say HI here and give and get any support to other people like me.

• Many of us had to give up most everything we loved doing, Giving up some of the things most of us can handle, But many had to give up jobs never being able to return to work and spine issue becomes a life long strugle,

So as long as you heal and have some quality of life you can learn to adjust, As long as you dont have further complications from surgery you might even get back to climbing,
    Fusion is not the end of the world for everyone, Many go back to full recovery and back to normal life,

Best of luck, Just hang in there, Hang on, Recovery is just another mountain to climb,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey R,
    Sounds like a nasty fall, I am amazed as your Dr's were that you could still walk. I can relate to your depression, a lot of us here have gone thru the mood swings that come post-op and from chronic pain. Trust me, it does get better, just be patient and listen to your Dr's. You may or may not have to make some lifestyle changes but you will adapt. My spine is a total mess but I have learned to overcome and strengthen my core to do many things (within reason) that I never thought I could ever do again.
    Be strong and take care,
  • rmorerrmore Posts: 9
    edited 01/31/2013 - 6:52 PM
    Thanks Ranger and Alex for your kind words. I am hoping for the best...I do feel some niggles and what not...but I am hoping one day I will make a good recovery.