Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Arthritis

ellenwilsoneellenwilson Posts: 9
edited 02/05/2013 - 6:42 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
What causes Spinal Arthritis?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 02/02/2013 - 5:52 AM
    hey ellen,
    I think many factors could result in spinal arthritis. Some are work related, injury related,
    for me it is just plain genetically related. How can we prevent it? I don't think there is much
    anyone can do to avoid as it mostly it is an age related issue.
    Try to eat healthy, exercise daily, even if it's just short sessions, and keep moving.
  • BpainFree39BBpainFree39 Posts: 127
    edited 02/02/2013 - 8:04 AM

I have Facet syndrome, AKA osteoarthritis. My issues stem from an old injury. I had a pinched nerve, requiring surgery and the injury was 20 years old. Over time my pain got much worse and the surgery fixed the pinched nerve, however the arthritis remains. I don't know if the injury caused the joints to become diseased, or what the issue is from.

I did a ton of research and the experts all say like Ranger says above there are different causes, but stress to a joint, or area is the overall cause, but some people are prone to having it. Two different people with the same conditions or injury will respond differently to the same thing, and there is no way to tell how it will work out.

I am in a lot of pain and take a bunch of medications, do PT, and icing, etc. I am trying to avoid a second surgery to treat it, but we'll see what happens. In my case the facet syndrome causes inflation, and swelling. This in turn causes nerve restriction / extreme pain when I move and do any bending, or twisting.

Good luck, and if you need a list of treatments let me know as I've tried them all, less another fusion.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • Hello,
    Spinal Arthritis is cause by various reasons like Age, Injury, and Obesity. And most important is like the way sitting...
  • I have been reading the spinal arthritis in an article at that time I came to know that arthritis can be caused in the spine also.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.