Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi - My husband has severe back pain. He had a fusion surgery years ago. It was with BAK cages. Right after the surgery, his disabling pain was gone but it came back after a couple of months. He has been in pain management since.

He wants to see if he can get any help now - if there is anything that can be done to help him. -To help him get his life back. This is a huge thing because the surgery was an absolute nightmare - this is putting it lightly. I am still traumatized by it and it wasn't even on me.

Anything to help him would be a surgery because he has tried injections and so on. We went to a spine surgeon who looked at his x-rays and and mri and said everything was fine and that everything looked good. - That he wouldn't know what he could do.

I suppose that is it so disappointing because it didn't seem like the dr. wanted to help. Or that there isn't anything to help and he will have to live the rest of his life like this.

We are going to see other drs. but I am afraid they will all say the same thing.

How can he be in so much pain if everything is ok?

I looked at the images and somethings are a question to me - I am not a dr. though.

• Cec: hi and welcome here.

It's great to see the support and concern you are giving to your husband. You have been there for him throughout this trauma.

You guys seem to be doing the right thing by getting other opinions.

Sometimes it's hard to get clear MRI scans with the metal in there from fusion. Often a ct mylegram is done. Something to discuss with the surgeon.

Can you get a description of the pain for us? See http://www.spine-health.com/forum/spine-health-announcements/dermatome-map

Best wishes.
  • CecCCec Posts: 10
    edited 02/03/2013 - 1:46 AM
    Hi DaveFusion!

Thank you so much for your support! I will ask my hubby to check the chart and I will respond about that.

Basically, he has bad right side pain. He cannot lie on his right side it hurts so much. He has pain down that leg and that leg is smaller than the other one. It is skinnier and doesn't have a fat layer on it. He also drags that leg when he walks. He has left leg pain too - but it is different because he had a dvt in that leg after the surgery and also the l5 nerve was stretched during the surgery and he had nerve pain - that has cleared up mostly I think.

He has severe back pain and cannot lie on his back for any length of time either. He cannot sit for a very long time or stand either. He mostly lies on his left side.

His surgery was L5-S1 2 cages put in and L4-5 1 cage put in. I looked at the MRI on disc and the one cage on the right L5-S1 seems to be too much to the right side and posterior too. This recent surgeon said though that it looked good.

Thank you for what you said. I love my husband very much and want to see him out of pain - or out of this severe pain. It is very hard to see someone you love in so much pain and there's not too much you can do about it.

Maybe there was a communication problem with the surgeon - I am not sure. I hope that the insurance will let us see another one. I also hope that there is another one in our area. We had to drive about 25-35 miles to that surgeon. Being in a car is hard on my husband.