Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I run H.D L5-S1 ?

Hello everyone

Recently I have been diagnosed with H.D l5-s1 .
Did a CT.
I am sure this problem has been with me for a very long time but I don't know when I have damaged my spine.
Now I am 18 years old but I remember of having discomfort on the back for at least 7 years.
Now it is kind of worse because I haven't been in a lot of activity and I have spent a lot of time sitting or lying because of some important exams. So different from before when it hurt when I stood in a bad position while washing my head for example or watching TV now it hurts for no reason .

The pain isn't to strong it is more of a discomfort than pain.
Also I don't use any pain medication .

So what do you think will running make it worse or not.
I have usually felt that in days I stay up without sitting doing different activities the back didn't hurt so will it be the same running ,what do you think because I still haven't tried.
I haven't been running for more than 1 year so I would really like to do that but will my back allow me to or should I forget about it and find something else like swimming.

• Are you sure it is not just muscle strain? Sometimes when your back hurts they will order an MRI and the it will show a bulge. Sometimes that bulge becomes a scape goat for something else. You can't see the muscle strain on a Cat Scan or MRI, but you can see a bulge. A lot of people have bulged disc. You are very young to have such problems. I was told I had a lot of bulged disc years ago, my back quit hurting and I continued to run, ride a horse and do what ever.
    Try walking fast and build yourself up, if it hurts don't do it... see how that goes.
  • D.ark-L.ightDD.ark-L.ight Posts: 2
    edited 02/02/2013 - 5:49 AM
    4 doctors confirmed it was H.D

Muscle strain can't last for years and not get better
  • I am not saying you don't. I was saying that it can be blamed on your pain. Sometimes muscles will pull a disc out of line and cause pain. I walked crooked for well over a year from what you speak of. I finally had an mri and sure as the world I hd I several bulged disc in my back.
  • I started walking through the pain,floating in a pool,and finally the pain started to lessen. I had one Dr. Tell me I had a jack of a seventy year old. But with grit and determination I healed. I also bought a back brace to wear when I was working around on the farm. It is frustrating to have pain.