Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AK80AAK80 Posts: 5
edited 02/20/2013 - 4:08 AM in Pain Medications
Had l4-5 microD 5 weeks ago on NYE. Felt great for ab a week. Got some numbness back and now having cold sensation throughout foot. Petrified I reherniated. Dr put me on lyrica but doesn't think I reherniated. I insisted on another MRI which I'm having this week. Wasn't gonna start the lyrica until after the mr but I'm feeling this new tingling and weird feeling that I'm wondering if I should just take it. I read ab some scary side effects so I'm concerned. This whole experience has been so exhausting and disappointing bc I have a 9m old that I can't care for. It's been really hard for me. Bc I get really upset. Supposed to go back to work soon but I don't know how I'll manage w this nerve pain (I'm a teacher). Any input on lyrica, dealing with nerve tingles, or going back to work?

• Did your doctor say why he's giving you Lyrica? Is he starting on a lower dose and then going to increase. Lyrica helps me, but I did have trouble at one time with increased depression, so watch for that.. Like you, I insisted on an MRI after I had symptoms after awhile from surgery. If you're not ready to go back to work, talk to your doctor.

5 weeks is a short period of time after surgery. If you have new symptoms, talk to your doctor. Nerves take a long time to heal, and it can take 6 - 12 months even to fully know the results of the surgery.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • just started today. i hope it works.

the doc said it would take weeks. good luck!
  • I still dont feel any relief. Im still in bed couldnt sit, couldnt walk. I had a relapse from herniated disc on l1 s5. We are the same i also have a 9 month old. :(
    Microdiscectomy scheduled on May, 2013. With L5/S1 disc herniation. Scared but im going for it!
  • Karen, He put me on 50mg. I'm not sure I want to take it after reading all the side effects. But now when I walk mys foot tingles like it did before surgery except not as fiery. Did you end up reherniating when you demanded the MRI? Wat symptoms did you have?

Sosick did you have surgery? This is just awful w a baby. Sorry you are still in bed. Hopefully the lyrica will help you. I'll keep you all posted about the MRI I'm having this week. Seeing dr on 2/11
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    You will find hundreds of previous threads that go into all the details behind Lyrica and other nerve pain medications.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I wound up with symptoms similar to what I had before the surgery. They got better for about 6 weeks, then got worse. Symptoms included pain down the leg(s) and across the low back and into the groin.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I've been on Lyrica for years for fibromyalgia. But my dr. increased my dose to help with the nerve pain. I have had no problems or side effects from the lyrica....ever. It isn't an antidepressant, so you don't get any of those side effects. And it doesn't work immediately, it is one of those drugs that has to build up in your system to begin to feel results. Nerve pain, from my knowledge and reading about it from others, can take months to get better. Positive thinking and keeping your mind busy is key to a successful recovery. I was letting myself get down, I live is WI and the winters get long. Try to stay busy, I really try to make myself get out of the house, find things I can do, etc.....mind over matter...I'm 2 months out and if you let yourself get depressed, it's the worse thing that can happen. Find people to talk to, go out for lunch, talk on the forum. But don't let yourself focus too much on the negative on this site...try to find the good stories and the upbeat people. Yes, you need support, but you need the right kind too! I'm not saying it has been a cake walk, but if you let yourself focus on the negative, well, that's how it's going to be. Getting back to the lyrica....give it a chance. It can take up to six weeks for it to help. Not all people have the side effects, I was lucky enough not too. Even if you do have the side effects, there are other nerve pain meds out there to try. Talk to your Dr.
    radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion