Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Immobile like me from L5S1 herniation?

I'm a 24 year old female who is currently suffering from a herniated disc L5S1.
I've had a bad back, back spasms on and off for 5 years, but 2 months ago I started feeling intense pain down my left leg into my ankle. It got so bad that I went to emergency where they gave me a nerve block shot, and Roxonin painkillers. For about 2 weeks I was in and out of the hospital, going to emergency again and getting 3 more shots. One anaesthetic that completely numbed both legs, and the other 2 were nerve blocks again. When I was finally prescribed Voltaren bc the Tramacet they gave me I gulped down 5 days worth in a day.. Lol voltaren suppositories worked miraculously. I could sleep at night no problem. (FYI in Japan medication regulations are very ridid. They cannot prescribe strong medication. Anything like codeine or others are classified as serious drugs and thus they are unable to prescribe. The strongest they have is Voltaren or Tramacet)

Then on the 10th of jan I caught a virus and was sick all night throwing up. The contractions made my condition far far worse. I then went again tp emergency and got a nerve root shot. It was heaven for 6 hours but then back to normal. Since then I haven't been able to walk, or sit down. I have been bed ridden, and the voltaren stopped working. Now I'm not in excruciating pain, but I can only lie on one side. I have been scheduled for surgery in 4 days. The doctor said 80% of patients recover over time, but since not even the nerve root shot helped, I should consider surgery. I'm actually looking forward to it, as I think I'm in a bad situation that it can only get better. The only thing is that people here have had bad experiences with surgery. My question is has anyone who has been bed ridden for a while go through surgery, and what was the experience?
I will share my post op experience here too afterwards.

It's hard to keep positive, but with support and understanding from others we must keep our head up high :)
Cheers mateys!

• KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 07/02/2013 - 7:33 PM
  • I am also bed ridden and i put myself on waiting list for surgery. It will take 4-6 months. Narcotics doesnt work for me anymore. I have to deal with the pain until the surgery date. I am taking lyrica for nerve pain but it's been a week and a half and i havnt feel any inprovement. I am starting to be depressed. I cannot take care of my 9 month old.
    Microdiscectomy scheduled on May, 2013. With L5/S1 disc herniation. Scared but im going for it!
  • Where do you live Sosick23 that you have to wait 4-6 months? Yeah I have been given lyrica to take twice daily but it doesnt work either :( sometimes i take a bunch when im in a lot of pain. I tell myself screw the 'you're going to ruin your stomach if you take too much meds'. i just cant take it anymore and i take them!! Can you get another painkiller? i know in north america they are very lenient with meds.. !!

thank you Keytan :) i will write updates later on!