Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A better pillow for between your knees

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to have found this forum. I have moderate to severe spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. I don't have pain most of the time, so I count myself very fortunate. Having experienced hours of severe pain, my heart goes out to all of you who live with it for even short amount of time.

I need your thoughts or help. I need to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. Having it there definitely makes a huge difference. However, having the pillow there also makes a difference in my sleep. At some point I want to roll to the other side. When I try to do that, I have to rearrange the pillow by pulling it out and then moving it over and settling it back in. By the time I've done that, I'm pretty much awake. So has anyone found a way to keep a pillow in place(obviously a small one) with Velcro or any other way? Is there anything made that would work?

Thanks for any information or thoughts that you can provide.

• Hi, I use t sleep on my tummy, can't. Do that anymore....(wake feeling like someone lumberjack danced on my lumbar).
    I use a "side sleep pillow", looks like a question mark with a hole for my ear. I then use the "knee buddy" pillow, it is contoured to fit snuggly and keep spine supported better. It helps me some nights, though I still wake with pain when I move in my sleep.
    Just had a genius thought.....a velcro suit to sleep in...and a velcro bed to stick to! Hmm....ok, maybe not genius! Lol.
    Good luck! Share what you find works for you too! Cheers!
  • There are lots of pregnancy pillows that might help! Might want to google those optoins. (And yes I realize you aren't pregnant)
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • a decent memory foam pillow will help and a temper millenium queen pillow in large for you head will help and if you can afford it the new dormeo octaspring mattress and you have the complete sleep solution !
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

• I have seen online somewhere a pillow to have between the knees that seem to be fixed there somehow. If you could do a search, hopefully you would find it. I'll see what I can come up with :-)

• I found a picture of the pillow I am thinking of, but can't post it.
    I Googled between the knee pillow, and several came up. Good luck :-)

• memory foam pillow will do for in between the knees I have one or my bed and one for my recliner {so I am not dragging pillows up and downstairs].if you lay on your side with legs slightly bend with the pillow in between your knees and have a top end memory foam pillow for your head [I use the millennium queen tempur] it makes your body lay in the perfect position to keep your spine in the correct position ,..
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I just put a pillow on each side of me. As I roll from side to side I just slide the pillow between my knees. That way you're aren't having to actually pick up the pillow and move it to the other side.
  • tom.paterson72ttom.paterson72 Posts: 8
    edited 08/26/2014 - 3:44 PM
    I've just used a regular pillow that I place in between my knees. It does helps a little, but I like the suggestions that were given here for you. I may have to look in on them myself.
This discussion has been closed.