Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow I'll be 8 weeks out from a 1 level ACDF. Things were going ok till about 2 weeks ago once I started back to work part time. The pain I'm in is getting worse, to the point I might have to go back out on leave. The pain is both nerve and the back of my neck. I still take Vicodin 5/500 but usually only right before bed so I can get some sort of sleep . The past couple/few days I've had to take it during the day as well. Talked to the surgeon on Friday and he put me on 800mg Ibuprofen. The pain had continued to get worse over the weekend. Guess I'll have to call again tomorrow and ask for something else, but I don't know what else is out there. They asked if I had any preference (for nsaids) but I have no idea, any suggestions?

• I don't know if this will help, but maybe ask for a "sample" of a flector patch. It's an NSAID patch that you place on the spot that hurts, it can be left on for 12 hours. The reason I would ask for a sample is that they are expensive and better to get a free sample to see if it will help rather than paying for a full script and it not helping. It might also be easier because the NSAID doesn't go through your stomach so it tends to cause less of an issue that way.
  • Thank you. I will call my surgeon and see if that's an option. I'm having issues with the ibuprofen upsetting my stomach, so it sounds like it would be a better option.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 02/04/2013 - 6:48 AM

is if you ask for a tablet to protect your stomach from damage.

I was taking Ibuprofen regularly and then started having problems with gastric reflux. My GP put me on Lansoprazole and from the first tablet, things improved.