Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flank bulge after side incision

Hi All!

I had a L1 burst fracture 6 months ago. The surgery involved an incision (maybe 8 inch) just below my lowest left rib. The surgeon later said 'We had to take out a rib' or something to that effect. But I know that the bone graft came from my rib.

Anyways, I now have a very troubling/annoying bulge around my incision - the bulge spreads along my left flank and almost upto the front of my belly. My navel is somewhat offset to the right by almost an inch. There is a loss of sensation on the skin that is below the incision and upto my groin perhaps.

When I sit on the ground with my knees to my chest, I get a dull ache from my left abdomen. When I am standing, I feel like there is a 10 pound weight stuck in my left abdomen. I always have a tight feeling on my left side.

Does anybody have any experience with this? What can I do to resolve this? The surgeons who worked on me say it is all fine when I can feel that its not fine. They have ruled out a hernia (just by observing my belly).

Please let me know what I should do.

Regards

rmore
advertisement

Comments

• does no one know what i am talking about ? :(
  • iainrosellaiiainrosella Posts: 20
    edited 05/21/2013 - 10:29 PM
    Hi I have just seem this comment, I have experience of this, as when I broke my back, 10 day after surgery my flank bulge appeared , you probably have all the answers by now, but if you need any info let me know, it's bad how these surgeon keep making this mistake, they cut the intercoastal nerve which causes the abdoman to collapse
  • I had a partial nephrectomy in 2008 and still have the bulge. Gained weight, lost weight, didn't matter. My right side looks like someone implanted a volleyball into my gut. The nerve damage seems to be the culprit, based on what the urologist told me. Given that I had possible cancer, I had to have the surgery, but the weight and abdominal imbalance definitely makes moving difficult. I do all kinds of back extensions and side extensions to try to strengthen the muscles but nothing really works. Has anybody had surgery to correct the bulge, and what were the results?