Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Pain After Discectomy??

I am 20 years old and had a laminotomy/microdiscectomy a week ago for a severely herniated disc at L5-S1. The first two days in the hospital were killer, but I wasn't having leg pain. The day after I left the hospital, the sciatic leg pain came back and it's worse than ever! I am also experiencing a new piercing pain in my back, like my skin is being pierced with a needle. I'm still in need of a walker and it's hard to roll over, get up, or even sit. Extending my left leg is out of the question. I am fearful that I may have to get another surgery later on or I may have reherniated. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if I may have reherniated?? I am so fearful of this becoming a vicious cycle!
Lauren Davidson

• Your surgery being only a week ago is premature to think about other surgery , It's normal as meds they give you during surgery wears off nerves will go in to overdrive,
    If you feel it's something more serious bring it up at your follow up appointment and see if doctor feels he needs to take a look on MRI or xray,

You are very early out of surgery so many pain symptoms can come about disturbing the nerves during surgery,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Out of the hospital I was still a mess. Coming off the narcotics they give you doesn't make this any easier. Your nerves are in significant overdrive and healing. New pain is what you need to worry about. Where the stitches are and any nerve the disc was affecting is normal. Give it a few weeks. I'm almost 2 months out and still have sporadic pain on the same nerves. My surgeon told me to only worry about new pains.
    Best of luck to you, I know how scary all this is.
  • LaurenBrianneLLaurenBrianne Posts: 25
    edited 02/14/2013 - 10:35 AM
    What makes us worried is that right before a week post-surgery, I got a flu bug. I threw up all night, and now it's almost 3 weeks post-surgery and I'm still having bad leg pain. I've got an MRI scheduled to make sure it didn't reherniate.
    Lauren Davidson