Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 surgery 2011

Hi. My name is Mary Jane otherwise known as MJ,

I had L5S1 surgery 2011 and my pain is constant. I am consumed with seeking relief from this from the time I wake up til I go to sleep and even dream of finding more pain killers or having another surgery in my sleep. I don't know how to live with this.

I. Have radiating pain in my lower back through my tail bone. I would saw it feels like I'm holding 80 to 100lbs endlessly, feeling the stain of the weight. My legs cramp. Sometimes I have foot heel pain where it's like I've stepped on a nail.

I take 100mg of oxycodone. My fiancé lawyer surgeon are questioning my pain and refuse to increase the dose. When I take 30mg every 3 hours I can escape the pain. But I'm only allowed 20mg every 4. This barely touches the pain. I hold back on taking the medicine so I can take 30 or 40mg at a time so I can relax.

I can't live this way. Any ideas?

• Any suggestions on what to do to stay sane ????
  • maybe add muscle relaxer or something' maybe ask for valium to help stay calm' its a rough road and not a simple answer to any of this as many of us been dealing with this stuff for years and try to avoid over doing the pain meds so we dont drop dead; i am sure they are just concerned about you but they have to give you a beter option if meds not enough' good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I herniate my disc L1S5 which is causing severe sciatic pain on left leg. For now im taking lyrica for nerve pain and yesterday switched from codeine to tramadol for pain. Talk to your doc about combination of pain meds. I go to Pain management clinic. Still im not 100%, im anxiously waiting for the meds to kick in. I hope ww will be pain -free soon!
    Microdiscectomy scheduled on May, 2013. With L5/S1 disc herniation. Scared but im going for it!
  • Can you find a pain management clinic/doctor? I don't have personal experience with it, but I've read that they have helped many people on this forum as well as others. Might be a place to start.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Mj you may want to consider asking your doctor about a couple of options.... There are medications that work as doublers and intensify the oxys effect without having to increase your dose..... Cymbalta and a couple of other similar meds can be given to help block the signals instead of covering the pain and muscle relaxers taken PO can help with the cramps