Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie to the forum (spinal fusion L3-L4, L4-L5 & L5-S1)

Hi Everyone!

I am closing in on 4 weeks post Lumbar Fusion and have been reading these forums almost daily with questions I have had and figured it was about time that I joined. I am a 30-year-old woman who had a lumbar fusion of my L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs. I had quite a bit of pain and trouble coming out of surgery and during my stay at the hospital for the first week but since I have returned home I feel like it has been a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. I am feeling like I am currently headed in the positive direction. Wanted to introduce myself and to say thank you to everyone’s posts that I have already read and who have helped me along the way. I will be posting more specific questions I have in the future and will begin to follow along and give any advice I can as far as the experience I have had.

In advance, it is nice to meet all of you!

• I'm 7 weeks post op 2 level fusion and 1 level TDR. I am in no pain at all now, not even a paracetamol. I went back to work at week 3 with some pain but very quickly improved. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2. Did you have ALIF/PLUF or 360 surgery?
    I'm very pleased so far and if it stays like this I will be over the moon.
    I had a tough time in hospital, spent 11 days in as had some complications so everyone is surprised that I am doing so well :)
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • I think the rollar coaster ride is a good description of fusion at first. I too had some complications in the hospital. But I too was able to return to work in 7 weeks (I teach) and was able to quickly come off pain meds. I do still have pain, but its so much more tolerable I feel guilty complaining about it. I'm 32, a mother of 2. Sometimes it's hard to find others who are in our same life stage going through all of this. Good luck and hope you are on the upswing!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • i am 13 months post ALIF [through the abdominal] and i am still in hell just been diagnosed with intractable pain ,{pain that is resistant to all pain killers in the true sense ,it the pain never goes away ,.i have had 3 previous operation on my spine .what i wanted to tell you is recovery from a fusion is a long haul and many are few from problems .just be careful you don't want to end up back in the OR !
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014