Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRi says Scar tissue surrounding S1

nkaynnkay Posts: 105
edited 02/08/2013 - 3:16 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So I have nerve pain still in my left leg and now sometimes in my right(stabbing burning etc), usual back pain too. This is functional and I can deal with it with just half a percocet. The second MRI was no where as in depth as my first. My first listed facet arthritis, bone spurs, a tear in L3-L4. This one says nothing but bulge in L4-L5 and scar tissue surrounding the S1.

How can one MRI have so much more info and another hardly anything? Also is that it, it's just scar tissue? I'm going to bring the disc to my surgeon to see what he says.

• Why does the pain fluctuate? My leg gives out. All from scar tissue?
  • No answers for you nkay, but I can relate and I feel your pain. Literally. I have scar tissue around L5-S1...wish I would have done the massage Ron talks about so much. My leg gives out and I have considerable pain in my back, hips, groin and legs. I also found out that my SI joint is probably shot. This was from surgeons exam. Will be doing the injections as soon as insurance approves. I am so hoping that will put some of this pain to rest. Did your surgeon say he would do anything? Mine wants to wait until I hit a year. I am not showing a lot of fusion (really bums me out) surgeon says he is not concerned, He sees something. WTH does that mean, right? I am a triple so maybe it just takes longer, but I am very discouraged. Also just had a cervical MRI and from what I see, doesnt look good, but Im not radiologist.
    I am sorry you are hurting....wish I had a fix for you....is your pain nerve pain? Peace, E
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • I haven't seen my surgeon yet. This was just what was written on my mri. I have to go get the mri on disc and bring it to him.

Yes, nerve pain and back. Last night it was knife pain in my hammy, this morning my foot is totally numb.???
  • Im sorry. I dont have the foot numbness but a lot of pain. I get the knife stabbing hammy pain. The hip and groin make me crazy. I wonder if they can fix this. You would think that they could go in and remove but the body will just regenerate more scare tissue...its the body's job to scar and injury over. I hate this...is there ever an end? My legs are heavy...they dont feel like mine sometimes. Please keep me updated. I see my surgeon on Tues of next week to go over the Cervical MRI. I will be sure to address the pain and scar tissue and let you know as well. Good luck Nkay. What are you doing to manage the pain? I have been using ice a lot. Im afraid to use heat thinking it will inflame the nerve more. I dream about heat...lol but the ice calms things down a bit for me. E
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • You know what bugs me. The fact that I have to sit here and figure out what this stuff says. Disc bulge at l4-l5 with bilateral neural foraminal narrowing secondary to facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. You think they would bother to tell me anything? Nope just got a phone call that says, oh it's just scar tissue. I went down and got the print out myself. I'm hoping the surgeon can give me some input. I got the MRI because of my ongoing symptoms for almost 9 months now and we are about to move from Colorado to Fl. LONG ROAD TRIP. ugh..

Manage.. well I typically lie there waiting for it to subside. If I have to be up and about and it really bothers me I take a half of a percocet. I have 5 kids at home to home school so I can't be drugged up.