Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many days hospitalized?

Hi all! New member here...surgery is scheduled for March 11. I am single with no family close by, so scheduling friends and pet care. How many days should I plan on in the hospital? Having spinal fusion.

• it depends on what and where your having your fusion ,if its ALIF [through your abdominal} and more than one level you will {depending on your health weight } require about a week .BUT you will need at least 6 months help at home at spinal fusions are a massive operation .if you are having a fusion at a higher level {like around your neck .you will need around a week in hospital but recovery tends to be quicker .,i know as i have had ALIF and a family member has had a neck fusion ,please remember spinal fusions are last resort so you must be in a lot of pain .if you are on your own then you will need family around you or if you have no family then social care must be provided before you have your operation ,and one last bit of advice .if you ca afford it{and i don't mean that patronising [ buy yourself an electrical adjustable recliner they are a god send i live on mine propped up with 4 memory foam pillows .there are many used ones in places like eBay and the local papers for a fraction of the price they should be ..mine was new and cost 1500 pounds {vat free} as i am in the uk and disabled but my friends bought an identical one in leather almost like new for 200 pounds !! from loot that's a local free paper {many are purchased for ;;granny;;in her last few months .and the relatives just want to get rid of the chair.if you would like to talk please contact me on here via PM .i have lots of advice should you want it ,good luck with you operation
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • My wife was out buying one the morning after I got home. Manual recliner setup I had readied was just too exhausting and painful. A raised seat for the toilet is also a big help.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • I had a one level PLIF twice. Each time I was in the hospital about two days. As for having help around, I am 33 yrs old and my husband was a truck driver at the time, so I didnt get help like most people do. I also had no help from my family. My husband stayed home probably two days after I got home from my surgery, then I was on my own. I had to be very disciplined not to over do it(i didn't have a brace). Before I had my surgeries I moved everything to where i could reach it without bending or stretching to get it. The microwave dinner became my best friend. I had two greyhounds and I to give my big male back to the rescue cause he was to strong for me to handle. I was heartbroken but I had no choice. It is possible to do it all on your own, but if u can get help I would highly recommend it.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.