Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had steroid injection yesterday, what to do/ not to do based on your experience?

Hi guys! I just had a shot yesterday on L1 S5 herniated disc. It was'nt so bad, i felt heaven right after. It was so good to be pain-free! But that's for an hour! As soon as i sit in the car to go home, the pain started again. Different type of pain, it's like tightening on my left leg. But sure is painful. I dont know how to position myself in the back of the car. We passed by the pharmacy and got new pain meds (tramadol) i used to take codeine but PM doc changed that. So we got home, i laid down, took 2 tabs of tramadol, and slowly i recovered. Pain is still there but tolerable. The whole afternoon was ok, went to bed with less pain than 2 weeks ago (i was bed ridden by the way) was able to sleep 5 hours straight yey! Woke up with a bit of pain took 2 tabs agin and i felt it worked again. Looking forward for a nice day today. Hopefully i can go to our living room (which i havnt gapone fir 2 weeks) and spend my time there with my 9 month old daughter. I'm sick being in bed all day.

Sorry for my long post, was just wondering how people managed after they got the shot. Is it better to rest in bed? Im just afraid to lift my 21lbs baby, it might put strain on my back. Did their pain went away? They say it will take 3-5 days to take effect. I am anxiously waiting. As for now, i can only walk to go to the bathroom. I feel numbness on my leg when i try to walk longer. Can't wait to hear from anyone with the same experience. I will keep you posted on how my injection went.
Microdiscectomy scheduled on May, 2013. With L5/S1 disc herniation. Scared but im going for it!

• i have had 4 in the past, and after everyone, i went right to work, put in my full 8 hours, probably even more. now i am not saying that was the smart thing to do, but its what i had to do.
  • I had a series of three injections. I had my first injection the first of Oct 2012. I was told to take it easy for 6 hours and then I could do what I was able to do before the injection. Before the first injection I was using a cane and couldn't carry my purse. By the time I went in to have the third injection I wasn't using the cane and was carrying my purse. I was till having some pain in my hip so he gave me the third injection. My foot wasn't numb anymore.

I am still careful with what I do. I try to walk everyday and do stretches that help. I still can get some tingling in my foot if I over do it, but that seems to be getting less and less.

I personally wouldn't pick up a 21 lb baby. I would figure out a way to help the child climb into my lap without straining my back.

I have a large herniated disc between L4 and L5. I have always been ok laying down on my side with the support of a pillow between my knees. I have to have a very firm mattress. I am also comfortable sitting in an easy chair with a lumbar support pillow behind my back.

I hope you continue to heal. :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />
    One can complain because rosebushes have thorns-----
    or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
  • Being a mom of a small child and having back issues is SOOO HARD. You know you shouldn't lift them, but still... so hard. I found that the steroid shots did take a few days to "kick in". They didn't make my pain worse, or give me new pain, so I didn't have to adjust my everyday life after them. Though I would suggest rest as much as possible just to allow your body some heal time. Hopefully you are on the upswing.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thank you so much guys, i feel that im not alone. Just an update, it's bee. Almost 48 hours since the injection, and i only felt 20% less pain. Now im able to walk to the bathroom. Still painful when i sit for longer time. And when i walk further in the house, feels so much better lying down in the bed. Still taking 2 tabs of tramadol every 6 hours. My husband took 2 more weeks off, so now he's the one tking care of our daughter. I am patiently waiting for the meds to kick in. Cant wait to do the usual stuff that i do. Cant wait to be pain-free. Thanks again!
    Microdiscectomy scheduled on May, 2013. With L5/S1 disc herniation. Scared but im going for it!
  • I recently had my third injection at my L4-5 nerve root. The first one for me was horrible. I had a lot of injection site pain but I could tell that the deep nerve pain was lessening. The second two were easier to deal with I have read that even if you feel better it is important to ease back into doing things slowly to make sure not to injure yourself worse. Now that I have had a full year set of three, I am in much better shape than I was. It is now a more normal back and leg ache kind of thing I have to deal with, as opposed to before when it was a horrid crippling pain. We will see if that effect lasts throughout the rest of the year (since you are only supposed to get three per area a year).

Overall it seemed to be a buildup effect, so I didn't notice until more into the process how well it was working.
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    of ESI's - Lumbar, Thoracic, Cervical, then not really ESI's, but still steroid injections into my shoulders (about 9 times) and hip )about 4 times)
    Honestly, with all those injections, I would say about 30% of them cam away with some positive results. Those positives did NOT last a long time, but they were very instrumental in getting me past a flareup
    I have had some negative effects from Steroid injections. But those were almost 100% related to the doctor performing the injection blind , meaning that he did not use any fluoroscope to help guide the injection

The first 48 hours after any of the ESI should be spent not doing physical activities. Of course as a mother, you still need to take care of your child. I dont know if the books factored this in, but you need to do what you need to do

For some, the 3-5 day waiting period is true. I think you will find it so very true as the days go by. Just dont expect miracles. The ESI's are not going to fix everything, and for most, its just a band aid approach. For others, it will give
    you enough relief for pain, that you can get over the flareup and move on to something else.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • like some of those who posted, i had no problems and went to work. we have option of numbing it, but i chose not to do it. i have had 4 and no problems. this one was a last chance injection, because pain is so bad in my right leg. so knowing it probably would not work i tired it anyway. with insurance, i had to pop down 200 dollars before i had it. my last one if this does not work. i have pain in both legs now and i don't know why but no more surgeries, 4 fusions, and no more injections.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • After two weeks of epidural injection, i didnt get any relief from it. So sad. Im seeing my pain doc on mar. 11. Have to do an MRI scan this week and have to see my spine surgeon to discuss surgery in 2 months. I will still continue seeing my pain doc before the surgery. Who knows, maybe i wont need one. Im considering going to chiropractor. I havnt tried it yet. Any thoughts?

By the way, im taking tramadol 2 tabs and 2 advils every 6 hours. 200mg lyrica twice a day, and nortyptiline 10 mg at night. Still i cannot walk far with these meds. I consider myself bed bound. I only get up when i have to use the bathroom.
  • SueDSSueD Posts: 545
    edited 02/21/2013 - 8:29 PM
    I'm not sure what experience other members have had with a chiropracter, but for me personally, it was the worst thing I ever did.

The good thing was that I walked into his first session completely doubled over in pain and came out completely upright. I thought a miracle had occured. However, because I was recommended to have intensive chiropractic sessions for acute back pain at that time (about 6 years ago), I visited him every day for the first week - then every 3 days thereafter for about 2 months.

Just be very careful, that's all I'm saying, because I still believe it was these sessions that started off my sciatic pain problems. I didn't have leg pain before I attended, it came on after the first week and pretty much stayed with me until very recently (when I had the Nevro spinal cord stimulator fitted last Wednesday).

Chiropractic sessions were like torture! He even used a special tool (like a gun that shoots out a metal bolt) on my neck because I used to tense up in anticipation and, he said, it hindered my progress.

Of course, everyone has different experiences, good and bad, so I wouldn't just take my word for it. If you are going to visit a chiropracter, then first may I suggest you research it first and have a good chat with your doctor beforehand to see if he/she thinks this course of treatment would benefit you or not.

Good luck and I hope you can find something soon to help relieve your pain. Perhaps you'll let us know how you get on ok.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
This discussion has been closed.