Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am not new to the site but haven't been on here in a very long time. I had a C3-C6 laminectomy in 2008 and now I am about to undergo a posterior costotransversectomy, T6-T7 discectomy with a T4-T9 fusion. Needless to say if not for all my meds I would be in horrible pain. I am back on this site because I really need guidance to get through this surgery. I don't have to say it but I will. I am totally freaked out by this surgery and have very serious concerns.

It is good to be back and I know you all have very good advice.

• I remember during my first pregnancy I would get these moments of anxiety concerning the pain/etc of delivery. I'd have to shake it off and remind myself turning back simply wasn't an option, so there was no need to fret on it since I couldn't change it. When I'd get these moments, I'd go into the nursery and spend time organizing, cleaning, etc. My husband would come home and make comments about just how many different ways could I possibly arrange the diaper changer. It was never about organization, it was about my own peace of mind. A few years later when I was faced with my most recent spinal procedures I would get the same anxiety/fear. Now clearly there's a big difference between pregnancy and spine surgery.... like, you leave the hospital with an adorable cuddly infant AND pregnancy is something you choose. However for must of us, spine surgery isn't an "option" as it's the last option. I found myself thinking the same things, this has to be done, I'm out of options, etc... and I found that focusing on what I could control helped me. I spent so much time googling and preparing frozen casseroles/crockpot dishes. That helped me two fold because not only did it occupy my mind, but I felt like I was helping my family for the time coming when I couldn't. I also focused on proper diet and the few exercises I could still do knowing that the stronger I went into surgery, the stronger I'd come out. I even focused (though I'm pretty sure my family and surgeon would say obssessed) on banking the maximum blood possible before hand. In fact after my last surgery I had to be given blood in the ICU and I remember my family/doctor all started up with this discussion on why it was necessary and that in fact they had to use donated blood during the surgeries despite my best efforts, etc. and I think they were all floored that I was so ok with it, simply because it was never about having to receive donor blood (for me) as it was just trying to control what I could upfront. So that is my best advice for you. Try to focus on things you can control and on things that can help you heal afterwards. Maybe researching the best heating pads/ ice packs, looking into these satin sheets everyone talks about on here, etc. Find ways to occupy your mind in a positive way.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.