Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Filing SSDI

New to the forum and would like any insight any of you can give me. I am currently doing research to begin my endeavor with SSA to get SSDI. Major back problems from spinal stenosis to lumbosacral plexopathy. Pain is constant, had drop foot off and on for months, numbness in limbs, and now to make matters worst I have began falling at least once weekly. It is though my brain all of a sudden quits communicating with my right leg and down I fall with no for warning. Once I broke top of foot when trying to get back on my feet and last we I feel all of the way down until my head hit the concrete floor. Very scary business. Below is a list of my diagnosis from different test I have had done on different dates and was wondering if you can give me any idea of what I am up against with SSA.

10/12/2009 - Lumbarsacral Spine X-Ray (5 views)
L5 spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis (grade 2)
L5 - S1 discogenic degenerative change (interval progression)
L2 centered levoscoliotic curvature

06/24/2010 - MRI Lumbar w/o contrast
L5 relative to S1 anterolisthesis (grade 1)
L5 spondylosis (bilateral)
L5-S1 degenerative disc change with loss of disc height and signal
L5-S1 bilateral foraminal narrowing
L5 congenital non fusion of posterior arch
L4 L5 disc dessication and loss of disc height
L4 L5 small annular tear posteriorly and annular bulging asymmetric to the right

04/04/2011 - MRI Lumbar w/o contrast
L5 bilateral PARS defects
L5 on S1 grade 2 anterolisthesis
L5 - S1 degenerative disc disease with decreased T2 signal and disc space narrowing
L4 - L5 degenerative disc disease
L1 tip of the conus
L1 on L2 grade 1-2 anterolisthesis
L4 - L5 posterior disc bulge and facet arthropathy
L5 - S1 moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis with impingement of exiting L5 nerve roots

05/18/2011 - DEXA Bone Density Study (Postmenopausal)
L1-L4 Composite - T Score negative 3.0 - 70% of peak ( dx osteoporosis)
Proximal left femur - T Score negative 2.4 - 72% of peak ( dx osteopenia)

05/18/2011 - CT of Chest w/o contrast
Diffuse Osteopenia within Spine

09/16/2011 - EMG Nerve Conduction Study (Class III)
Lumbosacral Plexopathy
Higher amplitudes identify pathology with statistical sensitivity approaching 100%
Proprioceptive disruption of the spinous processes
Lower than normal ampitudes causing irritation and adjacent inflammatory activity

I really appreciate anyone who takes time to read this and responde.

Thanks! Aud Back
Audra Cox

• Did any doctor recomend doing surgery of any kind to help ?
    Not that you have to have surgery to get ssdi but just wondering what your doctors recomended to you ?

We can't interpret MRI or emg reports and such so your doctor will have to break that down for you in detail ,

Your doctor will fill out his finding report back to ssdi along with you filing for ssdi ,
    They can request you see 1 of there doctors in many cases ,
    Often people get denied by ssdi as they file at least 2 times,So some do hire a lawyer to make sure paper work is in order before they get aproved, 3 rd time around,

Best of luck,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • audbackaaudback Posts: 2
    edited 02/10/2013 - 5:50 AM
    Alexhurting - I appreciate your response and yes the Laser Spine Institute is recommending several surgeries but my sister had some of the same surgeries and is now totally disabled for the rest of her life. She has went through so many different surgeries now that we have stopped counting. What began as a surgical scar in her lower lumbar region now has landed her with surgical scars all the way up to her neck as well as two internal tens units that have quit working. So, surgery for me is very scary to make a decision on and currently have no insurance due to me not being employed for over a year due to my pain and back problems.
    Thanks! Aud Back
    Audra Cox
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 04/13/2013 - 10:37 PM
    SSDI is hard to get with back issues it doesn't matter what your MRIs say or what a doctor says it depends on what restrictions you have, what you can do and what you have tried to help your self.
    A bad example of how they award disability is the fact that two people could both have MS but not both will be accepted for disability depending on what they can do...

You pretty much need proof that you can't do your old job or any new job. You need restrictions on standing and sitting. What meds you are taking may help you depending on what the side effects they cause you like loss of short term memory.
    Spine issues have a very high denial rate without major records that show a disability.

Good Luck. I can point you to a group that helps people with this. Just PM me if interested. I do not reccomend a person do this on there own .I did and I did get a approval after six surgeries and evidence of major problems including spinal cord damage.
    They still questions it and took six months in the first section with no denial which adds months to years to a case.

Don't want to scare you just get the ducks in a row before you do anything and my last word of caution is that many doctors do not want to work with SSA even after they tell you to apply. They seem to get lost and not do the paperwork SSA ask for.