Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Iam having surgery on neck!

IM Having a anteriior cervical disecetomy infusionat the end of Feb.would like to know who has had this done and how was the out come? I have numbness in my arm, I have to sleep with a towel wadded up aganist my neck, and this stops the pain and numbness! hope someone can help! thank you

• Linda - look through some of the information and some of the threads, because there is a lot of information about ACDF - about the surgery, the recovery, what to do before surgery, etc. I'm sure you'll find a lot of what you need. If you have more specific questions that is easier to address.

I'm sorry you'll need to have surgery, but hope you have relief soon!
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Linda! I had this surgery back in October of last year. What areas are you getting done/fused? I had C6-C7. I'm almost four months post-op and my arm pain only occurs every once in a great while mostly when I do too much. I have other issues since the surgery. Edema in my legs, twitching eyelid, hard time turning to the left, etc. There are pros and cons of the surgery. Mine was either surgery or a major risk of paralysis so I chose surgery. Good luck to you!
    C-6 C-7 Cervical Spinal Fusion October 15, 2012
  • Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 02/12/2013 - 5:40 PM
    I too had my ACDF done. 2 levels in May 2012. C5 and C6.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to know more of my experience from surgery and recovery (im currently at 9 months), and in the surgery forum you will find a lot of people having had surgery or going into it.
    As with you, I had surgery to save me from further nerve damage in my left arm. The arm was getting worse by the day and i didnt want it to get permanent.
    Surgery has helped a lot but im still not fully healed so the arm is still troublesome to an extent. However much better than before!
    I can elaborate more in a PM.
    Good luck!
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey linda,
    I'm a veteran of a cervical spine fusion anterior/posterior of C4 thru C7 back in 2007. It was successful but I must be honest there is a possibility down the road for adjacent joint degeneration. I am now dealing with that above and below the fusion.
    But my fusion is still solid, no issues there. Would I do it again if I had a choice? Yes I would because the alternative was and still is not an option. My life is still pretty darn good and I won't ever look back.
    Be positive, do lots of research as you are here, ask your Dr(s) lots of questions, and don't be afraid of obtaining multiple opinions to help in your decision.
    Take care,
  • Had a c3-6and 6-7 done have a collar brace! I need some dos and don't from some of you. also had screws and a plate put in my neck..........I KNOW A FEW THINGS about the dos and donts want more of the DON'T Surgery was done FEB 28 HOPE YA'LL CAN HELP
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 03/03/2013 - 12:17 PM
    welcome to this side of surgery!

Different surgeons have different ideas about how much their patients should restrict things, so it is better to go by what your surgeon says.

I had C3/4 and C4/5 fused on November last year. I didn't have a collar at any point, no plate, no screws and pretty much no restrictions. Others have hard collars for a long time, and then wean to a soft collar and are given all sorts of restrictions. Only your surgeon knows exactly what he did in there and what he found. Based on that, and his own personal preference, he will tell you what he wants you to do or not to do.

Take care and keep healing :-)