Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tooth pain during flare-ups

I have not found many articles online dealing with this issue, but when I am in the midst of a severe flare-up of widespread, multifactorial pain, I end up with terrible toothaches, including teeth that have had at least one root canal AND have been crowned. My most recent flare-up has lasted over six months, with the tooth pain coming and going.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this; my dentist is a little perplexed, as are my doctors and therapists.

• I too have noticed the occasional increase of tooth pain while recuperating from my PLIF's. In fact, I had to have a (semi)emergent root canal a month before my second surgery. I'm not sure if this dental pain is due to my lower back pain or the opiates that I'm taking. However, in my day-to-day experience, I do notice that I'm certainly gritting my teeth quite often. I'm gritting them quite hard when the pain peaks. I think that this alone would weaken your tooth structure.

Just my 2¢, nothing more.
    Disability retirement
  • I've had to have a couple of emergency root canals done as well; generally when I have an especially nasty flare-up. I have a long history of TMJ issues, too, and though I don't think I grit my teeth (known as bruxism, I think), I probably do! I've tried several different mouth guards, but they just exacerbated the symptoms.

Thanks for your input, quiksilver - I appreciate it!
  • Is it possible you are gritting or grinding your teeth? During my sleep I realized I was grinding and when awaoe I grit them. Now I have to get a crown replaced.I take morphine and oxycodone but it doesn't take all the pain away as everyone, it just makes it more tolerable.
This discussion has been closed.