Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatic problems and no insurance

My brother in law hurt his back about three weeks ago. The symptoms (lower back, butt, and leg pain, along with the leg giving out when he steps down) seem to be consistent with sciatic problems. All he did to hurt it was turn a key in a car supposedly. Since then he has not been able to walk around or get in a car or work (he pours foundations). He has no insurance and no money. We (my husband and I ) brought him to the hospital thinking they would at least give him something for pain management, since he cant really function at all right now. Instead they performed NO tests, and sent him home with not even a prescription for anything. Said they would normally refer to a chiro? (without any tests?) but since he had no insurance too bad for him basically. That was two weeks ago. He still cant walk around or even really sleep because his back and leg hurt so bad. I know how sciatic pain feels and it is terrible, I cant imagine not being able to get help for it in some way. I am going to try to get him in to my primary care dr, but not sure how much good that will do as he will probably just refer him out. If anyone has any ideas for how to get help when you have no insurance let me know. I want to help but obviously cant afford to pay out of pocket for what he needs. I spent the last 3 hours looking at my states (maine) health insurance options for people with limited /no income and they are rather limited and take a long time to process. Anyway

• edited 02/13/2013 - 10:19 PM
    We had to go to a clinic with a sliding fee scale. Our visits were 5 dollars. It took 7 weeks to get in, a lot of payperwork, and a three hour trip one way to get there. We often went up just to see a nurse cause the Dr was overbooked. Look in a lg big city. Its not a good solution, but when there are no other options it saved us. Not much help but its what we had to do.