Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sharper sciatica pain cause by menstrual cycle after back surgery?

I had a microscopic lumbar discectomy on my L5-S1 on Feb 5 and felt no pain after the surgery. Made the mistake of coughing hard on Feb 10 that brought sharp pain down my leg which turned into a dull ache. Doctor says I most likely just irritated the nerve and didn't re-herniate the disc. Last night the pain was sharper and I got my period today. Has anyone else experienced an increase of sciatica pain during their period after back surgery?

• I experienced heavy cramping and "shocks" down my leg during mine about two weeks after my L4/L5 microdisectomy. They did get better after a few days though....
  • I always had severe back pain right before my period after I had my fusion surgery. It is very common although not sure why. I was told that the uterus swells and pushes against the nerves and spinal cord but not sure if that is accurate. My back pain was so bad once a month that I had an endometrial ablation done. Never had back pain like that again!
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • I HAVE not had surgery but can relate to this pain, i also have same thing. Then if you add having constant constipation cause of pain meds it is even more painful.
    Can you take any advil? Might help some, it helps me. I only take once a month. Maybe 1 or 2 days. :-) Ask your doc. I dont like to talk to my doc about stuff like that,but dag it is painful....uuuugh. if men only knew what we had to endure. Lol. No laughing....:)