Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Allograft VS Bone graft substitute

We finally decide to take surgery option with our doctor for my wife. We then went to see the doctor today to go through the procedure of the surgery. However, when talking with the doctor, we were a little bit confused by the options of the bone craft that we should choose. Does any one know the difference between allograft and bone graft substitue, such as plastic ones?

Many thanks for the answer!

• Hi
    For my cervical fusion I had a choice of autograft (my bone generally taken from your hip) or a allograft ( bone from a donor). We went with the donor bone and I had a real good fusion. My neighbor fell off a roof and broke his neck a year before my surgery they used his hip bone and fusion went well but his hip is still painfull from the bone harvast. I would take a long look at anything man made before trying it in a cervical fusion.

I am sorry I have no information on substitute materials now. I was almost in a trial for a product for my lumbar fusion at a later date but I passed on that and was able to use bone from my own neck for that which also fused very well. I feel bone with bone worked great for me so why use anything else? I would ask what they would be using and read everything about it that you can. A failed fusion is not anything good to go through.

Good Luck, hope it goes well for you