Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared about the future

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I've had severe back problems since the birth of my last child 5 years ago.

I wasn't taken serously about my pain until I paid privately to have an MRI done. This revealed to disc bulges, another with an anular tear.

I was originally told I could not be considered for surgery as I hadn't tried all other avenues yet. Which looking back was fair enough. I've now tried everything I could to help myself and seek help from others and my pain is no better in fact I've become stiffer. The mornings are unbearable for me, I have to wake myself up about two hours before I can get out of bed to be able to see to my kids.

My last visit to hospital was 10th January where I was told my only hope was spinal fusion. only one layer though which I thought was strange!!

Anyway, I was bluntley told I had to loose weight and stop smoking.

I know, I know, the smoking is a bad habit but I have three girls 4,9 and 14 and they argue all the time, had a terrible first marriage and when I was stuck in bed for months at a time unable to move, I got low and started smoking again.

I keep trying to loose the weight, after I went in January, I was on a strict diet and lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. I was thrilled but my back broke down again and I ended up in bed and I've put it back on.
This problem prevents me from loosing it and keeping it off. Its awful.
I have to go monday to start the smoking clinic which I'm not looking forward to, but I'll just see how it goes but I'm so worried if I stop smoking I'll pile even more weight on and I want to be as healthy and fit as I can before I have the surgery.

I'm also worried that they havent fully investigated my pain source properly as i have mid back pain and pain in my hips. gnawing pains in the top fronts of my legs!

How long does the operation last? I know recovery is long....
Has anyone else had to loose weight and/or stop smoking before this proceedure?
I need help....

Thanks for listening.

• Hi there,

Sorry youre having a difficult time... I can relate....I had spinal fusion surgery in Oct the bones did not fuse and will be going for another surgery 25 Feb...

I too am a smoker. The bones will NOT fuse if you continue to smoke after surgery. I was told to quit for 3 week after surgery. I took Chantix which really works, had no weight gain. I quit for 4 weeks... still no fusion. I blame myself for the lack of fusion, the surgeon said no that the first three weeks were crucial, its been 3 months and here we go again... I went back on Chantix yesterday in order to be smoke free by the surgery dats and am praying to stop for the first three months after surgery if not forever...

I was not told I needed to lose weight, but thats a catch 22 situation youre in there as youre sedentary, not moving around because of pain... I suggest no carbs or sugar... cut back on those and you will see a difference in weight,,,

my surgery was 4 hours long and not sure about recovery cause I have not recovered I am in more pain now than before the surgery because of the lack of fusion...I was told initial recovery is 3-4 months, but really a year to heal completely...

You will definately have to stop smoking, I do know that...

Good luck... let us know how youre doing....
    Sallie De Silva