Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Impingement from laying 7 hours during surgery?

Hello, I had my first surgery in 2007 a microdiscetomy/laminectomy. Unfortunately, it was not successful and created the area to collapse, resulting in me having a second surgery. This second surgery was an L-3/4 Fusion in August 2012. The surgery lasted 7 hours, recovery room 7 hours, 5 days in the hospital and then back into the hospital with an infection. The good news is the fusion helped so much. The pain from the collapse is much better, but the primary pain from the work injury is still there. (I'm a nurse and hurt myself transferring a large patient). My problem now, is since this second surgery both of my arms are continuously tingling and numb. It starts at the shoulders and ends at my fingertips, encompassing the entire girth of my arms, it doesn't really follow any dermatomes.
I think that laying in that one position during surgery may have created a nerve impingement, probably in the neck area, thus creating this problem. I am having an EMG done in 2 weeks and then perhaps a cervical MRI to see if anything is going on.
In the mean time, I have to "shake" my arms to try and get rid of the tingling. I am having trouble doing things like driving, typing, putting on make-up, etc.
I have tried researching this and haven't found much regarding the problem. Just curious if anyone out there that has had a long surgery with any type of problem like this. It's almost like a carpal-tunnel problem with flashes of sharp electrical pain in my forearms with certain movements, but the numbness and tingling from my shoulder down are always present. I must look silly constantly shaking my arms to get rid of the feeling :)
Any feedback is appreciated!
Cherie N

• I have no experience with cervical spine issues. However, I did have lots of nerve issues after my double surgeries this past summer, both of which were longer than 7 hours... so perhaps this can be a problem. I know I took the max dose of neurotin for probably 2 months before the nerve pains in my legs began to improve. I've heard that particular drug can take awhile to see the max affects. That's the only suggestion I have.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.