Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks post op Nerve Conduction

I am now nearly 12 weeks post L4 L5 fusion. I have written before but to update I have been left with pain from bum through back of leg to foot and toes. I am having nerve conduction studies next week, but I am not entirely sure what information will come from this. There seems to be damage at S1 nerve root I did not have the pain pre operatively, will this test give me an idea if this damage is long term or even permanent

Thanks everyone

• Jacks: all the best for the study.

Have you searched this site using EMG? There are articles and discussions about what they are like and what the results mean.

The main thing to get out of it is, whether it is progressive (ongoing) nerve damage. If it is, then there maybe a risk of permanent damage unless further action is taken.

If you haven't already, search this site for 'failed back surgery' for more info.

Take care.
  • My nerve conduction studies have comeback as abnormal, I see the Consultant tomorrow. The Comments say There is clear difference the compound muscle potential amplitude for the right tibial nerve over abductor hallucis brevis versus that on the left, being far greater on the left than the right. In addition the sural nerve sensory potential on the right is much lower in amplitude that that on the left.
    The electrophysical findings would suggest that there is some post ganglion involvement of the S1 nerve root pathway.
    l am not sure where this leaves me as I dont understand it - but hope to find out tomorrow as life with a numb painful leg is really getting me down.
  • DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 03/01/2013 - 8:40 PM
    Jackie: hi, how did the dr consult go?

Take care.