Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post L4-L5 minimally invasive fusion with cage 12-18-2012, post-surgery pain

radtechtam64rradtechtam64 Posts: 27
edited 02/17/2013 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be 9 weeks out from my minimally invasive L4-L5 fusion with cage on Tues. I have been very active from day 1 with stretching, walking, buying an elliptical (because of our cold, icy weather in WI). I am better overall. Happy with my surgeon. Luckily I did my homework and found an ortho dr. who went and did a fellowship in minimally invasive spinal surgery. Otherwise, I had seen a neurosurgeon who was going to do an open fusion. He told me I would be out of work for at least 4 months..in the hospital for 4 days. I was out of the hospital within 23 hrs. with my dr. Yes, the pain was quite intense, but I would have been uncomfortable in the hospital and would rather be home. I am still taking Percot and diazapam for the pain. But my pain is mainly nerve pain in the sacral area. The post-surgical pain has always been bearable. I was just wondering if there is anybody else out there with this experience? I am only 49 with hereditary OA, so I had to have a fusion due to severe spinal canal stensosis with nerve root impingement. After years of steroid injections, PT, etc...the pain was going down my legs and I could hardly ever be comfortable. It had gotten to the point where I had no choice...couldn't work, couldn't even walk a block without it being a struggle. Now, 9 weeks out, am I expecting too much? I realize my muscles were and are still guarding the pain I am having! How long should I expect the numbness and pain in the sacral area to last? Anybody out there still struggling with this? I am trying to be positive, but can be difficult. Do not want to have to go on anti-depressants. Overall, just overwhelmed and wanting to hear from others for suppport! I have trying to take my pain meds 5-6 hours apart and trying to decrease, but I think being active also irritates the area.
radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion

• radtechtam64rradtechtam64 Posts: 27
    edited 02/17/2013 - 8:46 AM
    if anyone has similar outcomes, please comment....need support!
  • For starters, I'd call the surgeon's office and speak with the nurse to just be sure your particular pain is to be expected from your particular surgery. I can tell you that the surgery could easily have inflamed nerves that can take months to completely heal. I know neurotin helped me considerably with that, but it took about 2 months before the medicine became truly affective. So if you are currently on that, keep going and maybe you'll see a difference soon. I have no experience with other nerve medicines, but I'd assume they too might take a while to work. If you aren't on a nerve medicine, that might be something you want to ask the nurse about.

Also I'd ask again about the work. I know I originally was told 6 months minimum off work after my surgeries, but actually started back to work (with surgeon's approval obviously) after 2 months. I simply told the surgeon I promised to follow any instructions he had, and to listen to my body. I wasn't full speed, but I knew that sitting in a lonely house would not be healthy emotionally for me. I think it was overall a good decision for myself. I am younger, so that probably helps. However, maybe you could work part time, or even do some light volunteering, just something to get you out of the house on a regular basis. I found more than anything that helped with all the anxiety that comes with healing. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I am on lyrica, which is a nerve drug...they doubled it because I was on it before for fibromyalgia. I have been trying to keep busy, and listen to my body, also. I have always been active and living in WI in the icy winter doesn't allow me to get outside. I haven't been working for about 10 months...looking, but in no hurry at this time because my job is quite demanding,physically and mentally. But am looking forward to a new opportunity. I have talked to the nurse and dr. and they seem to be very encouraged by my post-surgical outcome, I guess I just needed a little support from someone else who has been there. I appreciate your response, and will check back with this site again. It is nice to hear from others who have been there. I really haven't had a lot of anxiety or depression, just certain days get to me....you know, the dark, cloudy ones when my husband is working. He's a lot of support, he has back problems also, and understands. Just hasn't gotten to my point yet.