Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best electrodes to use for low back pain/sciatica?

Hi Everyone,

This is directed to those of you who use TENS for low back pain/sciatica. I am having the most difficult time getting electrodes to stick more than one application without the edges peeling up, getting stuck to clothing. I have been using an assortment of brands/sizes/materials and just curious to see what others use that work well. I am spending money on reusable electrodes that are only lasting 1 day...

There are so many different types of material (foam, spunlace, cloth, tricot, etc), gel (blue gel, hydrogel, tac gel, solid gel, etc) with or without silver coating, multiple layers of gel, snap and pin connectors, sizes that I am soooooo lost!!!

Any help would be great! Also I noticed there is pre-tens skin prep....is this something I should be using? Thanks!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I have had a tens unit for over 10 years now. I've gone through about 5 pair of pads during that time frame.

Same problems as you describe above.

I have found that keeping those pads moist helps. Very similar to keeping those 'suction' cap devices on your sink or shower.
    Also, I started to tape my in place. That did help a lot, but you will need assistance getting the tape applied correctly.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • kateecatkkateecat Posts: 16
    edited 02/19/2013 - 11:31 AM
    you have only used 5 pairs in 10 years!??? I have gone through more than 5 pairs since I got the TENS about 2 or 3 weeks ago!! I tried taping, but the tape didn't stick (I didn't use the stickiest kind). I think I might just have to go with cheaper ones that are only meant for one use and then use them one time and toss em. My PT was talking about discussing with their rep about getting me a non portable device for home use for actual therapeutic affect. I am having a remarkable response, although as soon as the unit turns off the pain is back immediately, it has been a relief to be able to work without being in miserable pain day in and day out every single day. I put it on in the am when I wake up and take it off when I take my shower before bed.

The only thing that is annoying is that the battery dies everyday at 3pm (I have rechargeables) and I cannot find pads that will stick more than one day...When they start to curl on the edge I get zapped and that sucks.

I try rewetting the pads with small drop of water and that does nothing to help revive stickiness.
  • David's_WifeDDavid's_Wife Posts: 1
    edited 07/03/2013 - 6:11 PM
    I've read if you put your TENS pads on wax paper it makes them stickier. LOL If that doesn't work, there is a gel called TAC-GEL that is supposed to make your pads stick better! You can find it on Amazon. :)

Hope that helps!