Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

March 2013 Surgery Buddies

BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
edited 01/21/2014 - 4:37 AM in Surgery Buddies
Well the date has been set (March 20th) for fusion revision/SCS removal. My long journey might finally get resolved (Praying).

Started with a blown disk L5-S1 (stupid me….dumped rain water out of a sailboat) in 1998. Major bone and disc removal. 2006 pain returns DDD no disk left, bone on bone. PLIF 2007 L5-S1. Pain returns 6 weeks after surgery. Sciatica left leg. Surgeon only put rod and screws on right side so I have a sagging spine. Try injections, too much scar tissue. SCS 2009 helps some but does not cover major pain. Now it is dead..won’t turn on or recharge. Try injections again...success finally someone hits the sweet spot. Temporary relief lasting 1 month to 6 months. After 20 injections since 2010 and riding the rollercoaster I'm done. Onward to a new Neurosurgeon. He says he can fix the issue with fairly minimal surgery (not that back surgery is ever minimal) only 1-2 days in the hospital vs. 6-12 last few times. He believes that since I got relief from the injections I should not have permanent nerve damage. Also going to try to remove the dead SCS

Nervous and excited to finally get this addressed and hopefully get my life back. It has been no fun trying to work, care for a mom with dementia and deal with constant pain.

Good luck to all that have surgery in March!

• Good luck , Maybe with some luck things will finaly start looking up, I had my Scs put in 2012. Like you said it don't cover the serious pain so I just started leaving it off, Mine will probably be removed also but I prefer to wait in case they need to do any other surgery and do it then,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    Make sure to keep it charged. I forgot about mine and now it wont turn on or charge.
    Anybody else scheduled for March?
  • Hi there! My surgery is set for March 4th. I have had 2 previous fusion surgeries: Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthitis, Osteo - penia & porosis, and Stenosis. (lots goin' on in the lol).All just a bunch of fancy names for.... HELP! :D

1997 - L4-L5 Bone from left hip... (Did great! Not perfect... but huge relief from pain)
    2000 - L3 - L4. Bone from right hip... With EBI stimulator (which later had to be removed) - Failed!

They wanted to do another in 2004, and I refused :D.

Well... it caught me!

Fusing entire lumbar spine. L1 thru L5 & S1.
    He is going to remove all hardware from previous 2 fusions, and replacing with hardware that will be used for the rest of the fusions. He is using bone removed from my spine? They crush it in a food processor type thing? (weird)

Art: It really sounds as though your surgery is very promising... and about time huh? Good luck to ya buddy!

• Making my to do list today.... and reality set in. More like PANIC! I've done this before... should be a pro (lol)
    And... Trying to get house ready is hard when youre in so much pain. Work 5 minutes... rest 10. With less than 2 weeks to go before surgery... and at this pace... pfffffttttt I'll never get done!
    Had to quit smoking for surgery. Using low nicotine electronic cig to curb cravings.trying so hard not to give in. Stress level is through the roof right now!
    Sounds like you have alot going on for as long as I have been dealing with this.
    Fusing L1-S1 is major. Stay cool and good luck quitting. You can do It, I did! Did they say what the recovery time would be?

They tell me my fusion is actually very strong. Just wasn't done correctly. Doc tells me that he can either clean out and stabilize what was done or redo it completely. Only problem is if he redoes it the next level up (L5-L4) is likely to go. So I'm opting for the cleanup. I'm praying that I wake up without the nerve pain from this nightmare. So tired of laying on the couch as life wizzes by. 1 month to go, and the story to be continued......
  • I hope your surgery is a success March 4. I will be waiting to hear how you do.My surgery is March 13th and im a wreck!!!!
    Kathy B
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 02/20/2013 - 8:21 AM
    I hope your surgery is a success and i hope they fix it all this time.This is my first so im very nervous but want my life back.Ill be thinking of you stay strong everyone.
    Kathy B
  • Thanks guys... I am right there with both of you. So ready and hoping to get somewhat of a normal life back! This whole ordeal has taken its toll on me. I am physically and mentally drained. And even though I have done this twice before... i am a wreck this time. My other 2 were not quite as extensive. I am nervous and anxious to see how this goes.
    Art... any fusuin surgery... you can pretty much count on a good 3 months before you are feeling anywhere near "normal". And i use that term loosely. Everybody is different. And it depends on how involved the surgery is. Mine is definitely more than i have ever had done... so i just don't even know what to expect this time at all. I keep getting flashbacks of previous surgeries. I remember the pain like it was yesterday. Wish I didnt lol

Went for pre-op today. Even the nurses were like "WOW! thats a lot of work hes doing!" Duhhhh

We can all do this together. Nice having those who can share and understand. We just have to stay strong... and talk each other through it :-)
  • I think this site is calming me down now that i can talk to you guys.I have had surgery several times but this seams like its going to be hell.Like you Debilyn it has made my life so hard .Im exausted from the pain and stress.I clean houses for 30 yrs and i love it.I hate to sit around and ive been out of work 7 wks waiting for surgery March 13.I try and get things done but i have to sit down after a half hr.I cant sleep at night , i l think too much.Im so happy we all have each other to keep each other strong.Ill be checking in on ya stay strong!!!!! Kathy
    Kathy B
  • DebilynDDebilyn Posts: 50
    edited 02/22/2013 - 5:28 AM
    Same here Kathy... I was up all night last night.

On a good note... Hubby moved our bedroom downstairs. It's a smaller room... but it works. I have finished up ordering & receiving some comfort items. Bought a bed rail for my bed... a bedside table like the one's the hospital uses. A bath chair... hand held shower... a reacher/grabber thingy. I have an old porta-potty in the shed tht we can bring in if need be. If nothing else... just for heighth on regular toilet. Getting baskets together with toiletries and things that I can keep within reach. Wireless keyboard & Mouse :-) And... hookups to use TV as pc monitor. This way... I only have to life a keyboard and not a laptop.

Previous surgeries... I still had kids at home... so I always made ahead a months worth in meals to freeze, so no one would starve. (lol) This time... not so much. It's just me and (new) hubby... so it's frozen food and whatever he feels like cooking! :-)

Getting the house in order is a whole other monster. Of course I'm thinking... I want walls washed... carpets scrubbed... all those things that I won't be able to do for a few months. And that I have not been able to do for close to a year.... and he, along with everyone else says... "Ahhhh... Don't worry about it!"
    Ahhhhh.... but I DO & WILL worry about it! That part is making me crazy! And with a little over a week left to go... I just know that none of it is going to get done. And I don't know how to let that go...

• flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 02/22/2013 - 6:01 AM
    You sound like me, my surgery is the 13th and ive been getting things done, but it takes me forever. I clean houses for a living and that makes me even more stressed.Its getting done the best i can right now but i know i have to take care of me right now.It sounds like you have everything in order, now you just have to try and relax your mind.I dont worry as much. If i cant sleep i just get up and watch a movie or read something .I try not to worry what surgery will bring because then i get stressed again.My little maltese hasnt left my side.He knows when im stressed and comforts me.Hes my angel,i dont know what i would do without him.My husband is taking 2 wks off to take care of me so that relieves me of worry.So lets right now take a deep breath and let it out and know we will get through this together!!!!!
    Kathy B
  • YOU now have to take care of you .Did you scedule a haircut, manipedi? I sceduled everything for week before.
    Kathy B
  • I know! And I hear what you're saying. Doesn't make it any easier... but I hear ya! lol

It is what it is... And you're right! This is OUR time to take care of US! Screw the house! (hehe) I'm like you though... Seems we have a lot in common. I cleaned houses for quite a few years... and office cleaning after that. Probably half our problem, and what landed us here! Carrying those cleaning supplies back & forth, Carrying that huge vaccum (ugh!) Scrubbing all those floors on our hand & knees! I actually worked for a maid service for the first couple of years. We were not allowed to use a mop! My body would hurt so much at the end of the day... I thought I would scream! But right back at it by 7am the next day. What was I thinking? Especially after having this surgery... lol Hey... it was my job!

NO I have not made appointments for hair and mani/pedi. I color my own hair, and do my own nails. I will probably go get a trim, since I haven't had my hair cut since July! Always kept it in a short bob... but kinda liking the odea of being able to pull it back right now. So not sure I want to go back to stylish short just yet. But a trim is definitely in order!

Thank you Kathy for your kind words... You know... I am not usually a stress-like person. I don't know where this is coming from!!! Deep breath Deb!!!
  • Hey guys,
    Found out today that I'll be joining you for some march surgery.... yeah us. My surgeon is trying to schedule around my Spring Break (end of March), but has to speak with a hardware engineer in hopes that something "better" can be invented for me, so still unsure exactly what all the surgery will entail. This past summer I went through two very grueling surgeries spending a total of 5 weeks in the hospital. I know this surgery will be much much smaller scale, probably only a couple of days in the hospital, so why do I still feel so paniced?
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Y a thats are problem, we like being in control.I have my own cleaning buisness and ive had the same customers for 30 yrs.I cant emagine not doing anything. I have all boys, i wish i had a daughter!!!WE will get through it together!!!
    Kathy B
  • Hope this surgery does the trick.YOUR PANICKY because its still surgery.Im just so gratefull for this site. Its nice to talk to people who understand what your going through.Stay strong!!!!
    Kathy B
  • For me.. ive got a 2 1/2 year old and 8 month old currently using me as a monkey bar. It hurts but ive just got about another week or so to let them climb all over me like the two little gremlins they are. :) But I'm with you guys, been cleaning house like a madwoman and coming up with the most ridiculous things to do. I painted all the baseboards in my house because they were grungy looking and it hurt too much to scrub them. The hubby comes home from work and sees me and my toddler painting and just shakes his head. :/
  • This really tickled me. I have NO INCLINATION to paint my baseboards. Luckily I don't think they need it and I cleaned them over Christmas. I do have one HUGE task currently on my list of things to do.... Potty train my youngest. I had been thinking I'd just put it off till my Spring Break... but now it is looking like I'll be spending Spring Break in the bed/on the couch.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi allmetal, Potty train takes time ,when shes ready she will go .I wouldnt worry about it right now. You will stress out.Im doing what i can and if it doesnt get done oh well.Its not the end of the world . Ive learned that if i dont take care of me first ,nothing will get done lol.Im trying to be a little humoiris.I have a little while till surgery march13.
    Kathy B
  • This ended up on page 2... thought it went poof lol

Doing my best to get a few things done around the house. Asked my daughter for help... she said she would... but havent heard from her. Go figure! Just gonna do what I can and screw the rest. I could barely move this morning. In so much pain. I will be so gald to get this surgery over with!!!

On a good note... yesterday was my quit day for smoking!!! :-) i am actually doing better than i thought i would! Woot!!! I roll my own.... so i played it safe and dumped all extra tobacco in the garbage... and poured water over it lol... hey.... i know me! Had to remove all temptation lol
    Don't worry about what doesn't get done. I have a short list and really don't care one way or another. It will be there when I get around to it.

Best of luck on quitting. I have been there too and survived.
  • Thanks! And you're right... I just don't have enough strength in my legs to get it all done. My daughter just sent me a text.... she is coming on Thursday to help me. Yay! I absolutely cannot mop or vac... so if she can just do those 2 things for me... I will be happy! :-)
  • Hi Debilyn, Much luck quiting smoking.I know that can be tough. The house just do what your body allows.You are more inportant.I know your surgery is the 4th ,are you getting nervous? Mine is the 13th and im getting nervous again. I went to the vasular surgeon today and he laid out all the work him and ortho surgeon are doing,and i felt sick to my stomack.I signed all the paperwork so now im in .
    Kathy B
    edited 02/26/2013 - 12:15 PM
    You mentioned this was your first surgery. If you don't mind me asking whatsurgery are you having done that you will have two surgeons? I hope all goes well for you! Art
    To start getting worried about this. I'm still working and just trying to get thru the days. Come home in pain and spend the night on the heating pad.

Debilyn I looked at your profile and see I'm 9 days older than you! What a hoot!
    I couldn't imagine going thrum this with young children. Wishing you the best and hope you have lots of support from family and friends. Try to go easy on the painting and other housework.
  • Im having ALIF L4 L5 S1 2level . They go in the belly than they go in the back.He said he works on the nerves ihe vascular surgeon and the orthpedic cleans out all the disks and puts the rods nuts and bolts in.Sounds like there working on a car lol.He said they use to do minamal invasive but found it didnt hold up .They now do it this way which is tough recovery but says over 10 yrs there seeing 98% gret results. I hope and pray im one of the 98%.
    Kathy B
    Did you blow it out or is it DDD? Mine was a PLIF L5S1 for DDD. The surgeon thought less was better hardware wise and I have been suffering ever since.
  • That's great news Debilyn! I hope you are continueing to see success with the quitting. And Kathy, I can so relate... anytime my surgeon would start discussing surgery details, I was forunate enough to be able to throw my hands up and say talk with my sister/brother, both physicians... because I wanted to be sure to get a 3rd/4th/9th free opinion (trust me, my siblings ran my tests/treamtent plans with lots of their peers) but I just knew that if I truly knew all the details I'd chicken out. I just left it with, I go to sleep... I get cut... I get recovery... done....lol. I know, total cop out... but true. I think its wonderful you heard all the details and still signed the paper work! Bravery isn't dead! And that goes for all of you guys!