Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Help!SI Dysfunction/secondary Piriformis Syndrome

r_redikerrr_rediker Posts: 1
edited 02/18/2013 - 10:44 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi all I am new here and I think this is where I should post.
I have been recently diagnosed with SI Joint Dysfunction with secondary Piriformis Syndrome. I never thought at this point in my life I would be here seeking advice. I am onIy 20 years old and really at a loss. Back in 2011 I was rear-ended and it has taken forever to get a diagnoses. I have been back and forth to PT (a few different ones) and it hasn't worked. I have received injections, one directly in the Piriformis Muscle and it helped for a few hours. The next day I could barely walk, and when I did my sciatic pain was worse. I have received an epidural and was flat on my back for a month, to say the least it didn't work what so ever.
Recently I have been seeing a Chiropractor and its making everthing worse. He doesnt believe I have Piriformis Syndrome, yet I have all the sympotms. He feels it is more disc related because when I lean back I have increased pain... Ive had numerous x-rays and MRIs and it showed no herniated discs. Im completely at a loss. It has been almost two years, and I dont know what to do anymore.
I have pain lower back, I believe in L5-S1. But the worst part is the deep aching pain in my butt (with spasm most of the time), pain down the back of my of the legs (thigh and calf) and in my feet (sometimes its my whole foot- but not all the time), I have pain walking upstairs, or uphills, after standing or sitting for a period of time, and also driving.
The pain down my legs is more like a cramping, burning sensation with spasms, and can be like electric shocks (sometimes with tingling). My feet get (mostly left foot) numb, tingly, and feel like they are cramped up, but when I look at them they arent.
Any input or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

• I suffer with same symptoms after surgery and never been resolved, Doctors have hard time it seems to figure out if it's from the spine and disc issue at times as nerve exits at the spine and goes through or under the pereformis muscle,

But you being able to create the symptom by bending back which I can't sound as you might have stenosis ,
    Talk further in detail with your doctor as maybe MRI don't show everything and next test is usualy a mylogram that helps them see a litle more what is going on in there,

I know the pain sucks as I now had it for 8 almost 9 years after my surgery they say due to nerve injury ,

If they can confirm it's stenosis posibly they can fix it,, if only MRI was done it might not be enough and might be time to take the next step and have a mylogram,

Good luck,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Sorry to hear you're suffering with these miserable issues. My SI joint issues also started after we were rear-ended 29 years ago, and it changes by the day or week.

I have had various treatments for my SI joints; the best one for me was radiofrequency ablation or rhizotomy, but my new pain doc won't do the SI joints because they are fed from two sides and it's hard to be able to 'stun' all of the nerves to make it completely effective. I had four done in the past and had THE best pain relief ever. I am now stuck with steroid or prolotherapy injections, neither of which gives me much relief.

The piriformis pain comes and goes; I have had many trigger point injections as well, which relief it temporarily, but never long enough. One thing that has helped me is manual physiotherapy (no machines, and no severe adjustments as in chiropractic work) AND IMS (intramuscular stimulation - similar to acupuncture, but right into the muscles). Definitely something to look into.

Take care, and good luck. Hopefully you can find some relief!

• Tech wizTTech wiz Posts: 1
    edited 03/09/2013 - 3:20 PM
    I had horrible SI damage to my right side from athletics and a sports injury. Symptoms were lower back but definitely butt pain too.

Laid in bed for 6 months researching condition, found a doctor in GA that did SI fixation and took the plunge. They put 3 screws through my SI joint to stop it from moving. Chiropractor/physical therapist is in surgery room to put u in alignment then they screw the joint down. Seriously worked like a miracle. I still have sensations in that area and will have arthritis for sure but it was like a miracle cure.

8 years later I'm 33 years old and play golf (yes golf) 50 times a year. Partially it actually strengthens my SI area and core although it does get sore.

I'm also aware I may need a fusion later in life but I was too scared to do fusion initially.
  • Did you have the new SI-BONE iFuse implant system or something else and when was this done? Thanks, Diane
    I had the SI-BONE ifuse implant procedure on August 6th 2012.
  • Tracy Lyne, what part of Canada are you from? I'm looking for a doctor.thx
  • Did you have nerve pain in your legs prior to the surgery?
  • gumballprincessggumballprincess Posts: 81
    edited 06/08/2013 - 3:50 AM
    At the time of my question I was unfamiliar with Dr.xxxxx SCREW ONLY FIXATION. You are very lucky that he used 3 Screws and that it has lasted this long. I can't count the number of SCREW ONLY FIXATIONS that he has done with only 2 screws and that didn't work. My one friends lasted three weeks till she started physical therapy under xxxx instructions. Diane

Post edited to remove specific doctor's name. Please read the Forum rules
    edited 06/08/2013 - 3:47 AM
    As you can see Tech Wiz has only one post and never answered my question from almost 3 months ago. Tech Wiz didn't have a si-joint fusion. He or she had a screw only fixation. Dr.xxxx in GA believes if the si-joint has no arthritis then there is no reason for a fusion. Even Tech Wiz said "I'm also aware I may need a fusion later in life but I was too scared to do fusion initially." Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know why any doctor in their right mind would do a screw only fixation. Nor choose to have one done verses a traditional si-joint fusion or the newer SI-BONE iFuse Implant System. Diane

Post edited to remove specific doctor's name. Please read the Forum rules
  • SI Joint Pain

Mid March: training for MMA fight – hurt my lower back during the week doing ‘sprawls (like a push up but you start from feet, shoot your feet back and allow hips to hit ground first) did hundred of these. My lower back was sore.

A few days later, I hurt my lower back but I keep training as I have a fight in five days. I suck it up. The whole fight card was cancelled ironically enough…

I have low back tightness for a few weeks. Then in training I get ‘stacked’ (I am on my back and my legs are close to my body so my knees come near face: essentially I am folded and stacked: BIG SPASM and then pain down both legs and I feel ocked up and hunched over…

But I have a seminar the next day and I think “lots of ice and massage and I will be fine in 24 hours (I sound like such an idiot..and I suppose I was but we train under the no pain – no gain premise and we are conditioned to ‘suck it up’……til we break

So then the next night, It seizes up again at the seminar while I am rolling (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) with a student BIG SPASM in back. My low back, hips, and legs feel seized up ouch!! My partner says try these: Celebrex and flexoral. They help for the night

So three months later I am in a lot of pain – I can still perform light Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but very limited.

When I get on the inversion table, I put a foam roller under lower back – started this a week ago and I get a tremendous stretch: weird thing is that it makes me feel like I have broken something where my spine joins tailbone: literally feels broken. I can barely get off inversion table. But then the broken feeling is replaced by a tremendously looser feeling in there and in my pelvis abs, lower back

This seems to be helping.

I also use a frozen water bottle and I roll over the butt and I have two huge ropes (periformis). I am super tight in them and along the outer parts of my hips, glutes…

Essentially I am a big tight ball of MESS down there. I realize now that years of bad posture, years of storing my stress in my pelvis ( when I stress I cross my legs, tense up down there..), Years of poor posture (hips always rolled forward, slouched a little) and hard training had its way…..

It has only been three months. Who am I to evoke attention or sympathy from anyone…?

If some one knows:

1. How do we really know what the issue is down there? I know that my SI joints are tight. But how do I know what is the cause and what is the effect? Did the problem start in my IT bands or lower back or is this exclusively a performis issue that effects the SI joints or a back issue that caused this?

2. Can someone point me to some good info on stretches, massage, strengthening. I will work hard to fix this.

3. how long may it take for me to unlock tight SI joints?

My symptoms:

Sharp pain in both my buttocks near where the femur sticks out near side of my hips. SHARP pain is mostly here and mostly when I move around. Throbbing / tight pain in most of both legs, extreme pain in my calve muscles. My legs feel like they are going to cramp up all the time.

Thank you all so much!

A man who needs back pain relief when driving, sitting, walking....and everywhere else...
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• It's been three months and it doesn't sound like what you are doing is making it better. A Physical Therapist would be able to check your alignment and adjust you if need be. There is a possibility that you are hypermoble and not hypomoble. They should know and give you the correct exercises to do. There is also something called a si-joint belt that you wear around your hips to hold your si-joint in place. (Only try PT for 8 weeks) A pain management doctor will not only give you medicine for the pain but there are other medicines to help with inflammation, muscle pain, nerve pain and nerve pain due to inflammation of a muscle. (Inflammation of the piriformis muscle can be very painful) There are injections for pinched nerves (lower lumbar = epidural) degenerative disk (facet joint injections) and a si-joint injection for all forms of SIJD. A MRI or CT-Scan would be used to rule out other things. I had a Hypermoble si-joint and tried for over 3-1/2 years to strengthen my core muscles so my pelvic bone wouldn't move to far and get stuck out of line but nothing worked. In August 2012 I had the SI-BONE iFuse procedure. The following is a link to the "Short Version" of my story which includes my e-mail address. Since I posted my story in November over 40 people have e-mailed me. 12 of my new friends have had the iFuse procedure since I met them plus I have several more friends on facebook who have had the iFuse procedure. http://www.spine-health.com/comment/281420#comment-281420 Take care and talk to you later, Diane

• runnergalrrunnergal Posts: 1
    edited 04/21/2015 - 4:55 AM
    I have run half M's for years, upped my game to run a marathon starting about five months ago, faced debilitating piriformis paid, could barely walk, got a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection direct to piriformis muscle, got me at 50 % and yesterday went to chiropractic physical therapy clinic and had my SI joint adjusted and PAIN FREE for 24 hours so far. AMAZING, no pain, no shooting pain, no burning pain in buttocks or lower back!!! This combo of ortho doc/chiropractor/physical therapist is the KEY! My docs take care of most all the college athletes at the University o XXXX, so key is get reputable, SPORTS docs! Whoo hoo! Dallas marathon May 23 here I come....
  • It is great to read that someone has got relief for this pain, it is new
    kind of pain for me and I never dreamed something could hurt this
    Anyway I was wondering how did they diagnosis your issues? Will
    you please describe the adjustment they made that helped so much
    if possible.
    Once again thanks, so glad you are feeling better and good luck
    with the marathon.
    edited 04/24/2015 - 3:25 AM
    I saw your recent comment about your piriformis muscle and thought I'd share my story with a couple hopefully helpful links.

The following is my piriformis muscle story.
    By 4 weeks post-op (In August 2012 - I had the SI-BONE iFuse procedure.) I was walking 1/4 mile 4 times a day. I must of stepped off the curb the wrong way and re-injured my foot. By 8 weeks post-op my foot still wasn't right. I had to be very careful how I stepped and I definitely couldn't stand on my tip toes. The little hurt turned into pain before I finish walking 1/4 mile so I stopped walking. I love my crocs but figured I'd try something else so I ordered 3 different pair of Dr.Scholl's sneakers from walmart.com. My new shoes are here!!! I put a pair on, walk to the end of the street and back, 1/4 mile. No hurts what so ever. I put another pair on, walk to the end of the street and back. My feet still felt great. I put the 3rd pair on but didn't take a walk, just wore them a little while in the house. The next morning I woke up and my left hip hurt really bad. I felt like I had slept outside on the ground. I moved around a little, started the coffee and throw some clothes on. That feeling was gone but OMG!!! this spot at the bottom left of my sacrum and down the back of my left leg to my knee. OMG!!! I didn't do anything wrong or crazy. What happened? What was wrong? Did a pin move and was touching a nerve? Not only was it a horrible pain but I was scared to death all weekend. On Monday Oct 15th at 10 weeks post-op I saw my Physical Therapist. He released my piriformas muscle which had grabbed my sciatic nerve. was fine after that and started a new exercise to stretch and strengthen that muscle.
    Also there is a simple exercise to help release the sciatic nerve from the piriformis muscle. http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sacroiliac-joint-dysfunction/sacroiliac-si-joint-exercises-sciatic-pain

Sincerely, Diane

External URLs need to be approved by the moderator team before posting ...... Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator
This discussion has been closed.