Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post micro D pain and percocet

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum. I belong to another back pain forum but this one seems more helpful. I've had a herniated discs for 10 years. I'm 34 and do physical labor. I've done 8 epidurals and 2 facet injections, PT and pain mgmt. nada. I got my micro D on l5-s1, feb 7th. I'm in quite a bit of pain now and having the same symptoms pre surgery and some new ones. Both cheeks feel like giant bruises and I have throbbing sharp pain going down the back of my thigh down to my ankle. The other site people tell me his isn't normal. It seems like on this site, more people experience what I am. I'm getting another MRI next week to rule out bad stuff. I don't feel like this is normal. And I'm afraid I'm getting addicted to percocets. I e been on them for 5 months already. What's the exit strategy for this and should I be in this kind of pain?
Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.

• DolphindiazDDolphindiaz Posts: 6
    edited 02/19/2013 - 9:11 AM
    I had a micro d on l4 l5 and l5 s1 . On June 11 2012 I thought I was finally healed and on my way to a normal life. I had no pain like your describing and only took the Percocet 2 weeks before because I was screaming and crying to my surgeon that my leg was on fire and he told me that Percocet was the only thing that would help that kind of intense pain. And 2 weeks after i took the percocet then switched to Vicodin for 2 weeks. When I quit the Percocet I did have trouble sleeping for a week or so. It's a common withdrawal. However I didn't feel any anxiety or any intense craving for it but everyone is different . I think as long as your taking it for intense pain and not just to "feel good" u should be okay and may only suffer physical withdrawal. However 4 weeks ago I reherniated my l4 l5 and I am back on Vicodin and had to take Percocet the 1st week after I herniated my disc again. I did feel weird tingling sensations and some numbness after my surgery that lasted about 2 months. But it wasn't painful it was just annoying. I really feel for everyone who has back problems I always say no one understands just how horrible and depressing this kind of pain really is. Sometimes I read the forums when I am really down just to feel a sense of there is someone out there who understands, I hope this helps.
  • steven61ssteven61 Posts: 37
    edited 02/19/2013 - 10:37 AM
    Dolphindiaz: How do you know that you reherniated your disc? In addition to painful, that must be so frustrating!

Capsdad: Everyone is different, and it takes a while to heal, but your pain does sound really bad. I had my micro D about a week before you. I was on Norco for two weeks, and have been managing it without narcotics for the past week. I am now three weeks post-op. I can say that my back and leg pain are significantly better than before the surgery, but I am still very limited. I can't sit much at all. Other than two long walks per day, I spend most of my time reclining in bed. My walks started out as 5 min every couple of hours. Now I am up to 45 min twice a day. It feels good. But everybody is different. You have to give your body time to heal. It sounds good that you are going for a new MRI. Hopefully it will give you some peace of mind that nothing terrible has happened. good luck!
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • Steve I had horrible back pain for a week then woke up with the sciatica pain down my leg. Got an MRI right away and I reherniated my l4 l5 sux big time I'm miserable like everyone else I just want a normal life. Can't get in to see my surgeon till march 13th. Just will have to wait it out I guess...
  • How do you think you reherniated it? What were you doing? Today I managed to walk for 60 min, which I felt great about, but I got really scared when my dog pulled me and I twisted pulling her back. But it was just a scare. I felt ok an hour later.

Waiting is so hard and frustrating. I waited a month for the micro D after seeing the surgeon and it was not easy. I wanted to be on the other recovering, rather than just hanging around in pain waiting. I am so sorry that you have until March 13 just to see the surgeon. Urghhh

I totally understand the desire just to have a normal life back. I have been struggling with it for 25 years. I have had good years and bad ones, but it has never gone away... Hopefully this surgery will be a watershed. Fingers crossed.
  • GirlSoBadGGirlSoBad Posts: 24
    edited 04/02/2013 - 3:13 PM
    Steven did you wake up from surgery with sciatic pain? I have and the pain is worse. I mask the pain , suck it up and go abouts my day. I'm just curious to know how you're doing now?
  • Hi GirlSoBad-

When did you have your surgery? I woke up from mine with worse sciatic pain than before, and the Dr didn't seem that positive about the operation. Even at the six week mark it was pretty bad and I thought it was a failure. But in the last week it has gotten a lot better and that seems to be when the swelling around the incision went down. Hang in there, I hope it is just a case that your nerves are still angry and will calm down soon.

• Well, now that I am 9 weeks out, it is hard to remember every detail. But I do recall that I expected a lot of improvement with the sciatica and didn't get it. After the surgery I was immediately walking better due to much less back pain, but my ability to sit has only improved very slowly. Other than a couple times in a car when I have gone 30 min away, I haven't sat in a chair for more than 15 minutes. And in the first month it probably wasn't even 10 min at a time. I still see progress, and that is what matters.
    edited 04/03/2013 - 3:56 AM
    Almost 2 weeks post op for me, sciatica still there. I can't sit for long either. My surgeon said my surgery was a success and couldn't beleive I had buttock pains after surgery. The buttock, thigh heal pain is back as we'll. anyhow was just curious to know if you's woke up with pain an then if it eventually subsided. Thanks for replying. :)
  • Im 21/2 weeks out from Alif l4l5s1 surgery and I have siatic pain too. My dr put me on Gabapentin 3 times a day and its helping a lot.He said everything is healing so it takes time. Good luck hope your pain gets better!!!! kathy
    Kathy B
    edited 04/04/2013 - 3:39 AM
    It sounds like it takes longer for some ... I'm post op 2 weeks as of today. I've had a decrease in pain but now have pins and needle sensation in both legs at bedtime now. If its not one thing it's another! Ugh!
  • I was too negative in my post above. I guess it is easy to get down and frustrated. But I have improved a lot(!) in 9 weeks, and the nerve pain in my leg has subsided considerably. Little by little I am sitting more, and with each week I return to more of my normal life. This week I am back to work part time (and have been working part time from home for a while). After a half day at work, there is no better friend than my ice pack! Hang in there...
  • I am still getting pain, zingers and tingling in my right arm. Pain is much, much less than before surgery. The whole arm is also very weak and still feels rather "detached." My biggest concern is how weak and tired I am. it is officially two weeks post-op. I think the OPs pain needs to be re-evlaluated. Something may not be right.
    Age 55
    Herniated L4-5 1992
    DDD diagnosed
    Hysterectomy 2005
    Steven Johnsons Syndrome 2008-09
    Gastroparesis 2009-10
    Right ankle and toe reconstruction 2012
    ACDF C6-7 surgery March 2013
    Stroke? Cancer? MS? Who knows! in inferior cerebellum 2013
  • CapsdadCapsdad Posts: 92
    edited 07/29/2013 - 8:34 AM
    It's been 10 months and I still can't sit or stand more than a half hour. The last epidural made my pain worse and it's now on both legs. Pain meds don't work and I've had an allergic reaction to gabapentin and lyrica. I'm gonna get my second microD in about a month. I'm scared since the first one didn't work. If this doesn't work than I have to get the fusion. I don't want that since it weakens other discs and I could need more surgery on a different disc.
    Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.