Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello to all

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie on this forum, despite visiting the website for my back issues plenty of times. Specifically, I have had a bout with lower back disc herniation this past year. I have an L5/S1 herniation which is causing Sciatica down my left leg. I am doing P/T, (currently working with a second P/T, first one did not work), have independently looked up exercises, stretches etc., to no avail.....and finally went for an epidural shot this past Monday Feb. 18., 2013. I was hoping for some type of relief, especially since I get minimal rest at night and so far I have no relief from injection even though they say give it up to 5 days. I am trying to avoid surgery but after a year of this I am getting desperate. Can anyone relate and give some though?

Thanks Again,

Santiago Cortes Jr.

• Many on these forums can relate to exactly what you are feeling. You are on a very similar road as so many with the L5S1 herniation. And now it seems you are at the fork. You and only you have to decide when enough is enough. Hopefully you have good docs & a good support system to help you make the decision. I dealt with the sciatica for over a year also. For a long time I could not stand without pain. But sitting & laying down was ok. I was able to deal with that. Then slowly sitting became a problem also. The only relief I could get was lying down. Eventually that stopped also and when I couldnt sleep because of it is when I sought out a surgical opinion.

So now I am 5 months post-op and very happy with my decision. But recovery has been a tough road also and I am still working hard to get back to normal. You will find many people on here who have dealt with L5S1. Some have horror stories from surgery, others have great recovery stories. Everyone is different but spine surgery is a major surgery no matter how minimally invasive it is.

Good Luck, be sure to search the forums and other sites along with talking to your docs!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Hi Ben,
    Happy to hear you had a positive outcome.....I have read many of those horror stories you mention and it is indeed a scary place to be in. Your answer is par with what I have researched. Its been a week since I got the first epidural and while I found slight comfort in my sleep I have progressively regressed to where I was before the injection. I am scheduled for my second shot on Monday and praying for better results. Nonetheless, I am keeping a positive outlook and will continue the fight.....Thanks for your response, I sincerely welcomed it.
    Santiago Cortes Jr.